• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me ID this bird, she orphaned 3 babies. (1 Viewer)

Bohemianfeline

Please help me ID this bird, she orphaned 3 babies - PA USA.

If someone could help me ID this bird, I’d be grateful. She died and left 3 babies behind that I’m trying to raise. I’m in east central Pennsylvania
I’m happy to report that the babies have survived the first 48 hours in my basement, eating smashed eggs yolks & pet bird formula.
I forgot that I had a picture of the nest when I first pulled it down into a box (I suspected momma was dead inside)
I’m not 100% sure that this is the momma though. .. I never got a good look at her because she flew away fast... but I’m assuming it’s her because I didn’t see any activity for an entire 24 hours, just heard a lot of peeping from hungry babies and no momma flying back & forth like usual. So, I suppose it could be an intruder bird that tried to take over the nest and babies? I don’t know.
I figured that the best way to help the babies to to find out WHAT they even are so I can research their dietary needs until they can be released.
. No rescues will return my call.

You can zoom to see her towards the back. Grey head that turns white, grey body, black beak and a long tail feather.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 845C6B22-91CF-4FDB-8594-E3496F071D28.jpg
    845C6B22-91CF-4FDB-8594-E3496F071D28.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Looks like an eastern phoebe. Nest is a good match for that species too. Nest would normally be placed more than head high off the ground, close underneath a large roof, e.g. on a cross-beam just underneath your porch.

They eat insects, normally. They should survive on any kind of animal protein that's not too tough and not too dry: canned cat food, milk, eggs, ground mealworms, etc. Commercial powders for baby birds should be fine too: they're based on seed flour (wheat, maize, etc) but fortified with fats and proteins.

Hi Bohemianfeline and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What a shame for the nestlings to lose their mum. Nartreb seems to have given you some very good advice (tinned cat food is better than dog food for some reason I can't remember now).

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. Meanwhile, please keep trying the Rehab centres, you never know - they should have the knowledge and expertise. But life is so difficult for us all just now, isn't it.

Keep well.

Looks like an eastern phoebe. Nest is a good match for that species too. Nest would normally be placed more than head high off the ground, close underneath a large roof, e.g. on a cross-beam just underneath your porch.

They eat insects, normally. They should survive on any kind of animal protein that's not too tough and not too dry: canned cat food, milk, eggs, ground mealworms, etc. Commercial powders for baby birds should be fine too: they're based on seed flour (wheat, maize, etc) but fortified with fats and proteins.

TY! That one actually came ip in my image search, so I’m stuck between that and mockingbird.
As long as I know they’re bug eaters, I Know that I meed to significantly increase their protein intake until they can eat the wax worms i bought.
Thanks so much!

It's most definitely not a mockingbird. You'd see a much paler head, for starters. Also the nest style is different (mocking bird nests are twiggier and usually add bits of trash).

Please help me ID this bird, she orphaned 3 babies - PA USA.

If someone could help me ID this bird, I’d be grateful. She died and left 3 babies behind that I’m trying to raise. I’m in east central Pennsylvania
I’m happy to report that the babies have survived the first 48 hours in my basement, eating smashed eggs yolks & pet bird formula.
I forgot that I had a picture of the nest when I first pulled it down into a box (I suspected momma was dead inside)
I’m not 100% sure that this is the momma though. .. I never got a good look at her because she flew away fast... but I’m assuming it’s her because I didn’t see any activity for an entire 24 hours, just heard a lot of peeping from hungry babies and no momma flying back & forth like usual. So, I suppose it could be an intruder bird that tried to take over the nest and babies? I don’t know.
I figured that the best way to help the babies to to find out WHAT they even are so I can research their dietary needs until they can be released.
. No rescues will return my call.

You can zoom to see her towards the back. Grey head that turns white, grey body, black beak and a long tail feather.
Thanks!
Looks like a chickadee.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back