• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please help me identify my birds in srilanka march2022 (1 Viewer)

Damooni

Iran
pinavala the river near elephent bay hotel
IMG_3325.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

rangiri dambulu temple above mountain
IMG_3538.JPGIMG_3545.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG

7.rangiri dambulu temple above mountain
IMG_3572.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 43
1. Common sandpipers.
2. One of the flameback-type of woodpecker. Looks like lesser goldenback.
3. A prinia.
4, 6. Common iora.
5. Little swifts.
7. Oriental hobby.

2) Red-backed flameback 3) Plain or Jungle Prinia - looks like Plain due to supercilium, but tricky image. 7) Not sure I could rule out Shaheen falcon from this image personally.
Agree with Butty for the rest.

I think it is a full split now isn't it? I'm slowly working through my IOC lifelist at present, and the splits are a nightmare!
It is split on the IOC, Lesser / Black-rumped / Flameback /Goldenback is a separate species though both occur in Sri Lanka.

And it is a Hobby, not a Shaheen IMHO.

Last edited:
Shape is wrong for a hobby, moustache much too large ; it is clearly a Peregrine Falcon of the local subspecies (Falco peregrinus peregrinator), sometimes called "Shaheen" indeed.

moustache much too large [for Oriental hobby]
I don't know the ID, but it won't be (in my opinion) proven by this criterion. After Daniel's helpful comment I spent quite a while looking at photos for the size and shape of the cheek-patch (it's much bigger than just a 'moustache'), in flight, in both Oriental hobby and peregrinator peregrine, and if anything the patch tends to be bigger in Oriental hobby. In birds with a big patch (as in the OP's bird), the shape of the rear of the patch might distinguish the two, but cheek-patch-size itself does not identify the bird as the local peregrine, even if from other features (e.g. wing-length and -shape) it may be one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back