• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please id these martins/swallows (1 Viewer)

Ains

Yesterday (10 Oct 202) I photographed a small flock of swallows/martins flying around the radio tower here in Abu. I would appreciate it if you can identify these birds. It would be helpful to know the various species that visit this small hill station in Rajasthan.
Location Mount Abu Rajasthan India.

ID  0F4A9254.JPGID 0F4A9262.JPGID 0F4A9271.JPGID 0F4A9297.JPGID 0F4A9354.JPG

1 & 5 (upper, maybe both). Maybe juvenile barn swallow - but I can't explain why no white in tail.
2-3. Looks like (common) house martin.
4. Plain martin?

I don't know about the options, but I suggest there are no Barn Swallows pictured (based on structure). A dusky throat often seems to show on some swallows (ex: tree swallows) and I think that's what's going on with pic 1 and 5.

It's very hard to say what these birds are. None of them look quite right for Barn Swallow to me (no real sign of a breast-band, short fanned tail or one with only a shallow fork) and I feel they're probably Martins. I'd be very reluctant to claim a Common House Martin here unless the images were much better, as there are no records in Gujarat according to eBird, and no records of Asian House Martin either.

The bird that puzzles me the most is the one in the 1st image, as the underwing-coverts are distinctly paler than the flight feathers, as in a Barn or a Wire-tailed Swallow, and the throat looks buff with a suggestion of a light breast-band. The capped appearance and tail shape make it look more like a Martin though.

The bird in the 2nd image, on the other hand, seems to have darker coverts, so should be a Martin.

I can't put a name to no.3, but no.4 could be a Grey-throated Martin.

I'm not sure what either bird in no.5 is, although the lower bird looks uniformly brownish, so could be Dusky Crag Martin.

Thanks, mate,
I appreciate your views on the various birds per picture. The tower has always had its share of swallows and martins, Red-rumped swallows. also, make the number of birds swell when they are here. The Common Swallow/ Barn Swallow. is a winter visitor here. The Eurasian Crag-Martin also visits Abu in the winter.
Thanks once again
Cheers
Ains

Yesterday [21 Oct 2022] I took a few more snaps of these swallows/martins hopefully these will help to id species.ID 0F4A1224.JPGID 0F4A1233.JPGID 0F4A1267.JPG
Observation by

andyb39

I'll pass on no.1.

The flying bird in no.2 appears to be a Grey-throated Martin - slightly dusky throat contrasting with clean white underparts. I've just noticed there are some perched birds above. The bird on the extreme right must be a Wire-tailed Swallow with those thin streamers, and the one to its left could be too.

No.3 has a clear white rump but I'm not sure it's a House Martin - it could be a Little Swift.

Need to confirm the id of these martins 26 Oct 2022
Took these photographs a little after 10 am. Hopefully, the clarity at this height today gives a clearer picture of the birds. Need to confirm their id as they seem to be out of their range.
Location Mount Abu Rajasthan India.

ID 0F4A2165.JPGID 0F4A2166.JPG
Butty's suggestion
As (I guess) you believe these to be the same species as some you posted previously, it would be more helpful if you added these to the end of that thread so that we can easily see the earlier discussion. Then the mods could delete this thread.
Thanks, Mate. Hope this helps

Like Quote Reply

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back