• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover from Namibia (1 Viewer)

L'argonnais

France
Hello,
this summer, end of August, I went in Namibia for vacations. Of course I saw a lot of birds ; and took also a lot of pictures in order to identify them later. I have many, many problems , to identify these birds seen for the first time for most of them ; especially with these 3 pictures taken at Cape Cross (on the west coast, a place with thousands of seals , wonderful ! )
I guess it is a plover , not adult ; but impossible for me to identify which one.
I would appreciate any help !
Best regards.
JR

Attachments

• DSC_5539_AM.JPG
    DSC_5539_AM.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_5540_AM.JPG
    DSC_5540_AM.JPG
    672.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_5541_AM.JPG
    DSC_5541_AM.JPG
    617.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello,

Excellent flight shots! Tfs!

I agree with you, it's a Grey Plover aka Black bellied Plover.

I am quite confident that a Pluvialis like Plover with black axillaries can be identified with confidence anywhere in the world.

Edit: your bird has different feather generations in the wing, therefore an adult=2cy+ bird. Thanks Butty and Richard!

Last edited:
Hello Alexander,

thanks for the identification ; thanks also to all of those how confirm it.
To tell you the truth , that response surprise me a little bit at first ; not so much after.

A little bit at first as I konw a little bit that specie ; I meet it one time in France and a few more in...... Germany ! ;) and Denmark, Wadden sea is wonderful ; especially Friedrichkoog where I had wonderful times last year

Not so much after as like often, I have in mind the male in "breeding plumage" (thanks to google translate... ) , and when I look for the identification, the internet also retrieves mainly the "breeding plumage"

Thanks again,

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back