• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover? - Poland (2 Viewers)

AGDK

Hello

This evening I saw 3 birds, which I would assume was plovers , based on how they look, but also how they moved around..

It was very significant that one of them had a black patch on the stomach, (bird to the right). The size was similar to Lapwings, which was close to them at times..

When they moved, it was like a Lapwings, bending forward and taking 5-10 steps, they standing straight again.. I have never seen Golden Plover around here at this time of the year and normally Grey Plovers are scarce around here at this time, with usual only sightings of 1 at a time and usual only males.. The 2 on the left doesn't look like males.. Only other birds, which have this black patch on stomach would be a Dunlin, which it surely wasn't.. Too big and short bill..

I have many pictures, but all of them in very bad quality, due to distance and heat waves..

The reason for asking is just because I never saw a Grey Plover in July and I would love to add it to my "July list" in the local area here :)

Place is north west Poland...

Can anyone help me to some sort of conclusion..

Attachments

• Long shot.jpg
    Long shot.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 82
Hello,
any more pictures?
If forced, I would opt for Europen Golden Plovers for all three birds:

• colouration is good for all three
  • they appear not stocky enough for Grey Plover, and pear shaped jizz for smallish head is good for Golden Plover
  • and first think of common birds (Always consider this:"Häufige Arten sind häufig und seltene Arten sind selten") No offence you know
But more pictures are better to asses these points with confidence imo.

Edit: having written this, the central bird might be a Grey Plover. And: wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil. Is it possible that you post more pictures? Thanks!

Thanks for the inputs..

Here is some more cropped photos..

@Butty, I know the quality is very low.. But sometimes I'm amazed by peoples ability to determine things, based on small details available in the pictures.. So that's why I give it a long shot..

Attachments

• Cropped1.jpg
    Cropped1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Cropped2.jpg
    Cropped2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Cropped3.jpg
    Cropped3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Cropped4.jpg
    Cropped4.jpg