• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket camera recommendations (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
I'm looking for a simple pocket-sized camera I can take with me when I walk the dogs, quick to fire up, to use for pictures of birds, insects, views and even the dogs!

I have a Canon DSLR setup I'm happy with, and have just sold my Canon SX50 as although it was an excellent camera, it was too large and a little over-complex for daily use and ended up stuck in a cupboard.

The Canon S120 seems to fit the bill, but I wonder if there are any newer alternatives, as threads on this subject seem to be a few years old. Doesn't have to be a Canon, btw!

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks tamer and etuiant - a few more to mull over, it's a shame I can't pick and mix a few features from several cameras!

You could consider a used Canon s110. I recently bought two new on fleabay.

I am not sure if the s120 supports CHDK. I use CHDK solely for its remote shutter capabilities.

I have no camera recommendation for you except to suggest looking at the manual before you buy. I say this because i picked up a pocket camera for similar reasons, 10x zoom canon Elph 330.. But the unit did not have a setting to force the focus on a center focus box. So when trying to get a photo of a bird in a tree it refused to focus on the bird but twigs off to the right.

Be sure it has the simple options you need.

I have no camera recommendation for you except to suggest looking at the manual before you buy. I say this because i picked up a pocket camera for similar reasons, 10x zoom canon Elph 330.. But the unit did not have a setting to force the focus on a center focus box. So when trying to get a photo of a bird in a tree it refused to focus on the bird but twigs off to the right.

Be sure it has the simple options you need.

So right you are.
Sadly manuals are becoming endangered species. At best we now get a small quick user guide brochure and a website where we can search for a digital copy of a manual to read on screen.
That said, if there is a pocket zoom that offers a forced focus setting, I've not found it. I have nice photos of twigs with a hawk owl shape behind them in testimony. :C

So right you are.
Sadly manuals are becoming endangered species. At best we now get a small quick user guide brochure and a website where we can search for a digital copy of a manual to read on screen.
That said, if there is a pocket zoom that offers a forced focus setting, I've not found it. I have nice photos of twigs with a hawk owl shape behind them in testimony. :C

Infuriating isn't it?

I've found that most vendors post PDF manuals on their websites. Whether they actually detail the options for the menu settings is a different question.

As for pocket cameras, I agree. They are useless for wildlife. Kids birthday party and scenery landscape is about the limit of their usefulness.

MY Elph 330 hasn't been used for months.

I loved my old Canon Elph 890. While only 5x, it did have the setting to force the focus in the center. AND it even had a real viewfinder. There is no such thing as a real viewfinder on a pocket camera these day.

So I do have a recommendation for the OP, try to find a refurb Elph 890 somewhere on the internet.

The Canon Elph 890 is the Ixus 970 in the Old World, for some obscure reason Canon used to call Ixus Elph on the other side of the pond and number them differently.
Ixus 980 and 960 are also both good solid performers, at least mine have been from new. I also found them easier to hold than the 970.
Not really a birding camera 36mm to 133mm equiv focal length, but great for general purpose use.

Canon has a number of the small models. If it is birds and wildlife rather than scenry you want, 30x zoom is handy to have even in a pocket camera.

Canon has a number of the small models. If it is birds and wildlife rather than scenry you want, 30x zoom is handy to have even in a pocket camera.

If the focus can be forced to center on the field. I have not actually checked which of Canon's pocket cameras can and can't. I was only very disappointed when I learned that mine could not.

If you don't need the zoom range then the RX100 series are hard to beat - I am still using the original and know that the new models are better but am still very pleased with what the original can do. I have tried other pocket cameras (Canon S100 and Fuji XF1 being my other favourites) but the Sony out performs all the others I have used. Also it can be used for digiscoping which is handy when needed. Here is a link to a few shots with mine, nothing special but might give some idea - https://www.flickr.com/photos/37669825@N04/albums/72157645426498853

If the focus can be forced to center on the field. I have not actually checked which of Canon's pocket cameras can and can't. I was only very disappointed when I learned that mine could not.

Thank you for getting me off my duff to really look at my Panasonic Lumix TZ70 digital user manual.
On P92 and on they show how to manually focus using only the center field.
It is a finicky process, start in Macro Focus, zoom, refocus and shoot, complicated by the challenges inherent in keeping the item in the viewfinder.
The camera helpfully blows up the center field to full screen size, but the processor cannot refresh the image fast enough, so one gets intermittent frame grabs, not ideal for fine tuning the focus.
I tried to use it on a night heron, a large and sluggish bird, but decided to quit before I threw the camera into the Central Park Reservoir. Obviously there is a serious learning curve here.

Thank you for getting me off my duff to really look at my Panasonic Lumix TZ70 digital user manual.
On P92 and on they show how to manually focus using only the center field.
It is a finicky process, start in Macro Focus, zoom, refocus and shoot, complicated by the challenges inherent in keeping the item in the viewfinder.
The camera helpfully blows up the center field to full screen size, but the processor cannot refresh the image fast enough, so one gets intermittent frame grabs, not ideal for fine tuning the focus.
I tried to use it on a night heron, a large and sluggish bird, but decided to quit before I threw the camera into the Central Park Reservoir. Obviously there is a serious learning curve here.

Manual focus with a pocket camera? You have more patience than I do to even give it a try.

To put the AF rectangle in the middle of the frame and keep it there is the most I expect from a pocket camera these days. Forget an actual viewfinder. They are gone.

On/Off/auto for flash would be nice. Off/Auto isn't enough.

It seems the vendors are really dumbing down the pocket cameras these day to add things like Wifi. I don't need Wifi. I like a camera that has the settings to make them useful...

Small rant.

But I suppose since I only carry around the SX50 these days I shouldn't complain.

crazyfingers;3267020. said:
To put the AF rectangle in the middle of the frame and keep it there is the most I expect from a pocket camera these days. Forget an actual viewfinder. They are gone.

On/Off/auto for flash would be nice. Off/Auto isn't enough.

Small rant.

But I suppose since I only carry around the SX50 these days I shouldn't complain.

In fairness to Panasonic, the TZ70 does have a (small electronic) viewfinder
and does have an on/off flash option. Considering they also pack a 30x zoom into this little marvel, I really cannot throw stones.
Maybe I'll make an exception for their manual. It really requires a more competent user to discern how to take advantage of the goodies the engineers have stuffed into this camera.

Panasonic DMC TZ35

I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ35 to carry when not lugging about my Nikon gear. Very capable little camera with manual controls. Sadly JPG only, no RAW. However it may be worth a look. Various focus modes, and flash options.

I have just purchased an Olympus Tough TG-4. Little use for birds but as a pocket camera it appears to do everything else very well. I particularly wanted it as an underwater camera but it also close focusses down to 1cm for macro.
It very "programmable", has decent fps for action, shoots in RAW and JPEG, has GPS and WiFi and it's ....tough!
Very pleased with the initial shots I have tested it with so far and at only just over £200 imported from Hong Kong I think it's a bargain.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back