• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor RAW quality downloads to pc (1 Viewer)

There are some really nice piccies there Smithy. I think Norm was onto something. I didn't quite realise how many stops of ISO you could prevent by using faster shutter speeds. The general rule of thumb for getting sharp hand held shots is 1.5x focal length. So @200mm that's 1/300th, and @500mm that's 1/750th. That's hand held.

The VR on that lens is excellent by all accounts and rated at 4 stops. That would mean you could shoot hand held at shutter speeds of 1/250 at 200mm and probably get sharp images every shot and would mean you could stop down the ISO for less noise. Check the camera VR with tripod use. Some lenses automatically stop image stabilisation if the camera detects a tripod. I'd go out and try hand holding at 1/250th just to see how the camera and lens performs. If you can get sharp images, then you should be able to stop down the ISO for less noise. If the image stabilisation still functions with the monopod attached, even better.

Yes, Mal is right about Topaz Denoise AI. I use it as part of my standard workflow and it's absolutely brilliant.

Thanks, most noticeable noise seems to be in the low contrast background not so much the bird.
Is there some editing software where you can select certain areas to remove noise (namely background areas) leaving the subject untouched?
Thanks

I use ACDSee which works well enough for me that I have not felt any improvement in the Topaz denoise app. There is a download/try for free period of a month.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back