• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor seed quality from Haith's (1 Viewer)

Bish

At the end of April I purchsed 2 x 13kg bags of Haith's Sunflower hearts from Abberton reservoir & found this to be very poor quality being brownish & full of bits of husk & not upto the usual standard of the seed I order direct

I ordered 25kg direct from Haith's at the end of May & found this also to be very poor

I have never had any problem with them up until now & wondered if anyone else has experienced any drop in quality?

Regards Bish :t:

Bish

Give them a ring. In my experience I've always found them very helpful.

Haiths have a good reputation before being too critical of them on a public forum its definitely worth giving them an opportunity to sort the problem out.

Bish

Give them a ring. In my experience I've always found them very helpful.

Haiths have a good reputation before being too critical of them on a public forum its definitely worth giving them an opportunity to sort the problem out.

I've already emailed them & they have offered to replace the seed so no problem there

I don't think I am being too critical of them as this is poor seed from them sent to Abberton reservoir to re-sell & also direct from them to me so I won't be the only one who has bought it

I normally buy 25kg a month from them & have done for the last year & have had no complaint until now

There is obviously a quality control problem that needs urgent attention as this is not just one bag

Hi im quite new to this and was just wondering who was the best online retailer for wild bird supplies?

I've had a quite look round and found the following to have good prices. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these?

www.haiths.co.uk
www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk
www.thebirdtable.co.uk

Have you had a look at:
http://www.birdseedonline.co.uk/acatalog/

I buy all my seed from them now. You are buying direct from the farm and their prices are cheaper than most other sources. Roger

I get mine from a work colleague who also owns a shop which sells pet supplies ....she is also a member of BirdForum - ADH.

I get through a 25kg sack as well, the ones she gets for me (at the moment is Bucktons) are very good, no bits in them with and nothing that has gone off in any of the bags that I have had from her in the past year or so.

Also Vine House Farm, Deeping St. Nicholas, Lncolnshire. Seed grown on farm, direct from farm.

Geoff, the web site I gave above is for Vine House Farm. Glad someone else buys from them as well as me. I particularly like their seed mix, well my birds do the rate they consume it. Roger

I've already emailed them & they have offered to replace the seed so no problem there

I don't think I am being too critical of them as this is poor seed from them sent to Abberton reservoir to re-sell & also direct from them to me so I won't be the only one who has bought it

I normally buy 25kg a month from them & have done for the last year & have had no complaint until now

There is obviously a quality control problem that needs urgent attention as this is not just one bag

I buy 25kg sacks from my local pet shop at £22-00 a bag. It's never varied in its quality, I'm pleased to say. The birds ignore everything else and just eat the sunflower hearts.

Picking up on the thrust of the thread, though, being a wholly natural and seasonal product, I expect sunflower seeds would vary a good deal naturally and I'm pretty sure the birds wouldn't mind the varying appearance of the seeds. We are so used to seeking out only what seems the most perfect of everyhting these days - I do wonder that this attitude (and I'm just as guilty) must lead to a good deal of needless waste.

Last edited:
I buy 25kg sacks from my local pet shop at £22-00 a bag. It's never varied in its quality, I'm pleased to say. The birds ignore everything else and just eat the sunflower hearts.

Picking up on the thrust of the thread, though, being a wholly natural and seasonal product, I expect sunflower seeds would vary a good deal naturally and I'm pretty sure the birds wouldn't mind the varying appearance of the seeds. We are so used to seeking out only what seems the most perfect of everyhting these days - I do wonder that this attitude (and I'm just as guilty) must lead to a good deal of needless waste.

Agree,agree,agree, does it really matter what shape, size or colour
sunflower seeds are? Quality,now that's a different matter. Different
that is in so far as being charged for 1st.grade and only getting 2nd.
The birds themselves (by thier consumption) will indicate yes or no!
I have never,as yet, noticed any food being offered,left on account
of size!
However, I have noticed a significant fall off of consumption of
all the refreshment offered over the past two weeks. Perhaps I have
a lot to learn!

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Just an update to say I am now using the premium sunflower hearts from (www.vinehousefarmbirdfoods.co.uk ) and can thoroughly recommend the quality & speed of delivery, The birds also seem to prefer them judging by the speed it's disappearing!

Just an update to say I am now using the premium sunflower hearts from (www.vinehousefarmbirdfoods.co.uk ) and can thoroughly recommend the quality & speed of delivery, The birds also seem to prefer them judging by the speed it's disappearing!

Hi Bish

Thank you for that link, and the sales technique here :t:

Sorry about your disappointment, but you have found a better supplier elsewhere now so that helps a lot.

I am looking around for a supplier at the moment, and compare prices with each one I find (online or otherwise)

I have been buying my birdfood from Pet Supplies/B&Q, and I feel that they charge over the odds for bird products. I am talking about prices here though

Again a look on RSPB/SWT sites would do no harm either, as these are the places where it is sold anyway :smoke:

I think that some birdfood is much better quality than others. It varies quite a lot everywhere. :-O

Exactly right Steve.

As a retailer, we find some seeds do vary throughout the year (size and colour) especially sunflower seeds but the quality usually doesn't.

Also large bags (25 kg) are not opened prior to the sale, so the seller eg. Haiths, would not know if there was a problem anyway,providing the bag was clean and dry.Once a customer complains regarding this, they would be extremely helpful .I don't think it's fair to ask for more than that.

Agree,agree,agree, does it really matter what shape, size or colour sunflower seeds are? Quality,now that's a different matter. Different that is in so far as being charged for 1st.grade and only getting 2nd.

Hi Scampo: I have not been brave enough to buy a large bag of bird food, as you have incase there is a problem - as you say there might be things that crop up that you do not expect.

I would try out a small bag out for a while, and see if it goes down well then move on to a larger bag (as it saves money, and time!!)

Mary/Steve too right about the complaints about the quality too! :t:

I tend not to go for brands but more for the quality myself. The RSPB is a good make though. I still believe that quality has to match a birds tastes too, so I avoid avoid brands which do not go down so well (therefore waste money)

So it is just knowing what is right for your own birds in your garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back