• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Linnet, Nottingham, UK (1 Viewer)

Ben M

I saw this out of my window at the end of the garden this morning. I first thought it was a Dunnock, as a pair are nesting in the conifer hedge it's on, but when it sang I took more interest. I don't recall the song enough to describe it, only that it didn't sound like the Dunnock song I've been hearing everyday for the past few weeks.

Since the camcorder was to hand I got some footage, but before I could get the bins it had gone. The bill looks/looked more finch-like to me. I've never had good views of Linnet, but that's what I suspect it might be. Although I'd have expected more pink/red tones at this time of year - especially in comparison to the very pink Lesser Redpoll I've been seeing.

Here are links to the same bit of footage with varying quality:
Low Quality AVI (7.2MB)
High(er) Quality AVI (11.1MB requires Xvid codec)

For what it's worth, my camcorder tends to brighten and reduce contrast in the colours it captures.

There's some birdsong two-thirds of the way through the footage, which may or may not be this bird.

Well I agree that the body tones point towards Dunnock, hence my initial impression. Does anyone else see a bill that's too short and finch-like and a dark tail that's too long for Dunnock?

Well I agree that the body tones point towards Dunnock, hence my initial impression. Does anyone else see a bill that's too short and finch-like and a dark tail that's too long for Dunnock?
sorry ben,but i cant see any bill or tail differance to any other
dunnock.

I can only see the lo-res video and I can't dismiss it as a dunnock from that. But I can see what you're getting at, Ben. If I try to I think I can see chestnutty tones to mantle and coverts, dark tail, and dark primaries. But the lo-res video is not great and to be honest it could be a dunnock or a linnet from what I see on my screen! Any chance of grabbing stills from the high-res version?

Graham

I can only see the lo-res video and I can't dismiss it as a dunnock from that. But I can see what you're getting at, Ben. If I try to I think I can see chestnutty tones to mantle and coverts, dark tail, and dark primaries. But the lo-res video is not great and to be honest it could be a dunnock or a linnet from what I see on my screen! Any chance of grabbing stills from the high-res version?

Graham
no doubt about it,it is a dunnock.

Graham
I didn't grab stills originally because the low contrast makes it hard to distinguish the bird's exact outline against the background and a moving image does this better. Anyway, attached are a couple of uncropped stills that I think are in favour of a finch-like bird.

Here's a link to a .zip file containing 39 reasonable stills which can be downloaded unziped and cycled through to give a better idea of jizz:

2007-04-29-11-06-Garden-Unknown.zip (4.6MB)

I think some stills show a Dunnock-like bird and some a finch- or even bunting-like bird.

Long tail with a fork in stills 03-07, 09-11, 13-14, 17, 21, 22, 27, 34, 35
Shorter bill in stills 01-02, 09-10, 12, 18-20, 22-28, 31-33, 35-36, 38
Longer bill in stills 29-30, 34

With a pair of Dunnock nesting in this conifer hedge they are by far the most obvious candidate, I see them here every day, but in this case I'm not convinced.

Attachments

• 2007-04-29 -  11-06 - Garden - Unknown - 12.jpg
    2007-04-29 - 11-06 - Garden - Unknown - 12.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 91
  • 2007-04-29 -  11-06 - Garden - Unknown - 38.jpg
    2007-04-29 - 11-06 - Garden - Unknown - 38.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 80
I didn't grab stills originally because the low contrast makes it hard to distinguish the bird's exact outline against the background and a moving image does this better. Anyway, attached are a couple of uncropped stills that I think are in favour of a finch-like bird.

Here's a link to a .zip file containing 39 reasonable stills which can be downloaded unziped and cycled through to give a better idea of jizz:

2007-04-29-11-06-Garden-Unknown.zip (4.6MB)

I think some stills show a Dunnock-like bird and some a finch- or even bunting-like bird.

Long tail with a fork in stills 03-07, 09-11, 13-14, 17, 21, 22, 27, 34, 35
Shorter bill in stills 01-02, 09-10, 12, 18-20, 22-28, 31-33, 35-36, 38
Longer bill in stills 29-30, 34

With a pair of Dunnock nesting in this conifer hedge they are by far the most obvious candidate, I see them here every day, but in this case I'm not convinced.
hi ben
im still convinced its a dunnock.

Yet another vote for Dunnock, if it were needed. Have been fooled myself before by poor views of Dunnock - sometimes it's as if the grey can take on other colours depending on the light. Almost looks pink in evening light.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back