• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Powered wheelchair user looking some advice please (1 Viewer)

Charcot

United Kingdom
I currently own a Rab microlight down alpine it's a great jacket particularly as it has thin baffles, which I like. however I find it's not warm enough for the winter, added to the fact I'm a powered wheelchair user I feel something with a higher fill/ warmer etc may help. Also is it possible to get an insulated waterproof jacket that works.

Could you please suggest some jackets which will be warmer for me. I quite like the look of some of the following brands ;

Fjilraven

Mammut

TNF

Patagonia

Norrona

Mountain equipment

Packability is not a concern for me however I do like the lightweight and not overly puffy styles. I have a budget of £400 but would be happy to spend less also!😂

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

AJ

Down is not the best thing to use if you are going to get wet. One can get down jackets with a waterproof shell but they can get rather expensive. Primoloft is a good synthetic insulation that will maintain insulation even when wet. It would be worth looking at the ski market as well as the general outdoor market. I can't really recommend a specific product as outdoor clothing has become fashion manufacturers change their specs and ranges so often.

I'm a powered wheelchair user I feel something with a higher fill/ warmer etc may help.
One option you may like to take into consideration would be the many rechargeable/heated options now proliferating. They used to be fairly expensive a few years back but are getting more reasonable with passing time.

Charcot. I use a Snugpak Torrent. Has served me well over a number of years. A decent price I thought as well. I don’t need to but I sometimes pair it up with a decent base layer and a Rab Snood.

Good luck with your choice.

Rich

Don't forget your base layers. There are loads of thermal long sleeved tshirts about for about 20 pounds. I've just bought a merino one that is extremely warm and super comfy. Big mega warm jackets are great but personally I find they restrict movement a lot. If possible try and find a jacket with zipped armpits as this feature can make a great difference in regulating your temperature.

You might want to look at what anglers wear as rheir kit is designed to deal with some rough weather. The two.piece suits are extremely warm and practical.when.it is raining as obviously you don't want soaked legs.

Like many people, I use 3 layers: a long-sleeved shirt (which can be merino e.g. Icebreaker to wick sweat), a fleece or down jacket for warmth, and a thin waterproof jacket to keep away rain and wind (in my case, Vaude).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back