• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Powershot SX50 replacement (1 Viewer)

Irvo52

Scotland
As my trusty SX50 is now showing signs of wear, what is a good alternative to replace it? I would like something that's small enough to use as a walking around camera, but with the SX50's versatility in reach and ease of use. Preferably without the need to switch lenses.

In the general Cameras and Photography section, if you scroll down, you will see a few threads related to beginner cameras, super zoom compact camera, and bridge cameras.
those will be a good place to start comparing models.

If you decide to step up one level, micro4/3 cameras with a 100-400 lens will cost more and weigh more but give better images.
Niels

As my trusty SX50 is now showing signs of wear, what is a good alternative to replace it? I would like something that's small enough to use as a walking around camera, but with the SX50's versatility in reach and ease of use. Preferably without the need to switch lenses.
Afaik, such bridge cameras are getting to be hard to find,
Canon no longer makes them, while Sony has retreated upscale to the rather more expensive RX 10IV sporting a 600mm equivalent max zoom, similar to the Panasonic F330. That leaves only Nikon, with their P950, the larger P1000 also being discontinued.
I am puzzled by this evident exodus.
Bridge cameras seem ideal for the average photographer and in camera correction could increasingly iron out the deficiencies inherent in a system with a wide zoom range and a small sensor. Perhaps the business model of the camera makers which relies on profit from follow on lens sales conflicts with the 'one and done' concept of the bridge cameras.

Is the decline and exodus due to the smart phone market cameras getting better and better and its becoming non-profit making to manufacture bridge cameras?

Lisa
Telegaurd ID: 3KH4SZHZW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back