• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Promaster binoculars (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
Promaster sells all kinds of camera related stuff like tripods. Camera store sell this brand.

I had looked at a10x42 years ago. It was pleasant as I remember, nothing really awful about it. With these cheap type of binoculars, mostly sold in stores and not on line, check the pair for alignment before you leave the store.

Most stores only have the pocket 8x25s, nothing spectacular.

Some ads on line
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88629

7x32
http://helixphoto.com/binoculars/promaster/8654.html
I saw those. Nothing to be ashamed of. I would prefer 8x32, as the 7x32 does not offer a wider field of view.

This one might not be bad.
http://helixphoto.com/binoculars/promaster/6944.html

Mostly nothing to be excited about, but good for a glove compartment spare.

The one that is the subject of the Mystery Binocular thread is
http://www.wolfescamera.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=6577&category_id=340

It seems to be quite different from the rest.

If they had had a 9x32, I certainly would have bought it, for up to 150 dollars.

I have to admit Tero that after trying the Elite ELX ED model I believe I would like to see what the regular Elite is like. For under $200 for a phase coated roof prism bin with good specs I would not expect much but then who would have expected a flippin' high end contender at $500?

I'd like to try out that 8x32 Infinity Elite. If it's comparable to the now discontinued and unavailable Browning 8x32, it could be very popular in that price range, especially with even lighter weight, wider FOV, and larger AFOV going for it.
It's a tempting idea to get one, get the Browning 8x32s back from my dad, and compare the Promaster with those and the Pentax 8x32 DCF SP, just to see.
Not sure what I'd do with it, though, and really don't want to buy one just to make a comparison. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll get offered an easy overtime shift on top of what I usually work, and get a "free" Promaster:eek!:

To tell the truth, I find the idea of the <19oz., 6.5* FOV/65* AFOV 10x32 just as appealing. It's been on my mind for some time, now.

btw, I started a thread asking about the Infinity Elites back in May, but got no responses from anyone who'd used them. I've been debating the idea of suggesting a binocular passaround(something common on some knife and flashlight forums), and maybe something fairly inexpensive, yet of interest to some of us, like the ProMasters would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
I'd like to try out that 8x32 Infinity Elite. If it's comparable to the now discontinued and unavailable Browning 8x32, it could be very popular in that price range, especially with even lighter weight, wider FOV, and larger AFOV going for it.
It's a tempting idea to get one, get the Browning 8x32s back from my dad, and compare the Promaster with those and the Pentax 8x32 DCF SP, just to see.

I think that potentially is a good comparison: a sort of "no hope" logo that happens to be stuck on a rather good bin at a very good price.

Not sure what I'd do with it, though, and really don't want to buy one just to make a comparison. Maybe in the next few weeks I'll get offered an easy overtime shift on top of what I usually work, and get a "free" Promaster:eek!:

You don't have a Binocuholics Anonymous card yet ;)

To tell the truth, I find the idea of the <19oz., 6.5* FOV/65* AFOV 10x32 just as appealing. It's been on my mind for some time, now.

That was another think that caught my eye too. The weight is quite low. Almost at the "compact 8x28" level (that we all love and hate at the same time). Sounds like the bin to fit on my waist bag belt for "grab and go birding".

The only downside (after posting the specs on the CameraLandNY Mystery bin thread was the ER was not as good as I'd hoped (at 15.something). Perhaps it might be good enough, perhaps not.

btw, I started a thread asking about the Infinity Elites back in May, but got no responses from anyone who'd used them. I've been debating the idea of suggesting a binocular passaround(something common on some knife and flashlight forums), and maybe something fairly inexpensive, yet of interest to some of us, like the ProMasters would be a good place to start.

Yes, I think I was poo-pooing Promaster until recently too.

I guess SteveC really has a point about brand (or familiarity) driving the "pre-impression" that they must be junk. "Never heard of them. Must be rubbish" is sometimes a useful stance but it can get in the way to. Blind (or open-minded) tests are the only way to really find out.

BTW, I found a cheap deal on the discontinued ProMaster 7x32 so come Tuesday (post-holiday) I hope to have one winging its way to me. It cost about the same as the Winchester 8x32 from Tero that my wife happily used today ... for the first time she can easily acquire targets with a bin: Red-breasted Nuthatches, Cooper's Hawks (feeding) and a Great Blue Heron in Volunteer Park, Seattle. See, even cheap "almost a Sporter" bins can be a lot of fun! I'll let you know how this ProMaster pans out.

If anyone gets an Promaster Elite 8x32 I'd love to read your review ;)

BTW, I found a cheap deal on the discontinued ProMaster 7x32 so come Tuesday (post-holiday) I hope to have one winging its way to me. ............. ;)

Kevin,
How cheap is cheap?

Didn't they originally sell for about 49 bucks?;)

Bob

Kevin,
How cheap is cheap?

Didn't they originally sell for about 49 bucks?;)

Bob

I wish. I think they have a range of "cheap and cheerful" bins.

I think they were originally $99 to $129 (and up!). Wolfe is still selling them at the bottom end of that. I suspect they retailed at the same price point as the 8x32.

I bought them for $40 plus shipping. Again that's cheap enough for a "junk", "almost a Sporter" or loaner bin even without PC. The ER is good enough for me. And 4oz lighter than the Winchester's (with potentially better transmission).

But we'll see if they're worth $40 when they arrive ;)

Last edited:
I don't know about the specs, but since there aren't many 7x32s out there, I couldn't help but wonder if the Promasters were the same internally as the Denali that used to wear the Eagle Optics brand(and also lacked PC).
I started to buy one of these a few months ago that was left over at a Wild Birds Unlimited store. The view was surprisingly good, and while it lacked contrast compared to the DCF SPs I had with me, I actually found the lack of high contrast made for a relaxing view, plus they were very easy to hold steady. The only reason I didn't buy them was that when the eyecup was adjusted, the diopter adjustment turned with it.

I may start a thread about interest in a passaround if I were to buy one of these Promasters, or even a raffle-style passaround if that's not against the rules here.
The way the raffles I've seen work, 7 or 8 of us(would have to be limited to US residents) could throw in ~$20 apiece for the 8x32 Promaster or whatever we decided on, check out the bino for a week or so each, with each person responsible for shipping to the next, then one person wins the bino based on everyone picking a number from 0-9, and using a public lottery's next number as the source of the winning digit to keep it fair.
Could be a good opportunity to check out an unknown brand without having much invested, plus comments from different people about the same sample would keep us from wondering if one person got a good one while another got a lemon when our views of the same model differ.
Just a thought.

Regarding the Denali that Owen mentions; when I bought my 6 x 32 Ranger Platinum about 5-6 years ago from Eagle Optics (They were offering a $100.00 rebate on it.), I also discussed the merits of the 7 x 32 Denali with the sales person. He said, without hesitation, that they weren't any where near as good as the Rangers and I don't think that he was trying to keep me "upgraded" either. About 2 years later Eagle discontinued them. I still have the 6 x 32 and they are a very fine binocular.
Bob

Whoops! I put Tero's name down first instead of Owens! My bad!

Last edited:
The EO 6 x 32 Ranger Platinum is on my list of discontinued bins I'd be interested in buying. It got good reviews the time it was out and it was inexpensive too. And it's a 6x32 which for the time was certainly an oddity.

Did it have PC?

BTW does anyone know of any online pictures of the EO 6 x 32 Ranger Platinum or the 7x? It would be interesting to compare external cases to the older ProMaster design to see if they could be "separated at birth".

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/eagleranger.html has the larger bins but not the 6x32.

Last edited:
Kevin,
Yes, it is phase coated. It is made in Japan. (Says so on the binocular) It looks very much like the Ranger SRT shown here: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4698, except for some very minor changes on the sides of the grip. The SRT costs $50.00 less than the original Platinum did. I think the specs are the same too except the eyecups aren't multi-position.
Bob

Last edited:
Scan threads here I found this one I didn't recall reading earlier ... a rave review for the Promaster Infinity Elite 8x42 (not the ED) and noting the previous model was not nearly that good.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=95481

I thought ok i will look at them but how good could they be for $200.00. So i went up front and he handed me the binoculars. They felt real nice in my hand and balanced real well. I were glasses to correct for astigmatism so i need a bino with alot of eyerelief. I put the Promaster up to my eyes and i was SHOCKED how awsome the view was. I said i have to take these outside and have a better look. The field of view is 395 ft at 1000 yards. It has a 60 degree apparent field that is sharper to the edge than some of the alpha class binoculars and i had no trouble seeing the full field of view with my glasses on. I think it has 17mm eye releif. What suprised me was how bright it was and nice the depth of field is. I am going to go back and buy them on tuesday because i just cant believe how nice they were. The collimation was also perfect. The binocular has broadband multicoatings on every optical surface and the prizms are BAk 4 phase and silver coated. It also has Pepellamax coatings to help keep them clean and to help from fogging.

That was almost exactly a year ago. I PMed Robert to see if he would add his "one year on" comments to this thread.

More evidence that someone should try the 8x32 ;)

The 8x42 also interests me. However, I think it will be nearly identical to Vortex Diamondback. Difficult to predict. I wonder what the refund policy is?

Posted by Kevin Purcell
I guess SteveC really has a point about brand (or familiarity) driving the "pre-impression" that they must be junk. "Never heard of them. Must be rubbish" is sometimes a useful stance but it can get in the way to. Blind (or open-minded) tests are the only way to really find out.

Kevin,

Well it is nice to see somebody gets the point. I really do seriously wonder just what effect brand perception has. Open minded might really be a better way to describe it. There is a sort of oxy-moronic aspect to a blind optic test.

The 8x42 also interests me. However, I think it will be nearly identical to Vortex Diamondback. Difficult to predict. I wonder what the refund policy is?

Very difficult to predict. I would suspect it should be brighter at least (silver versus Al mirror on the prisms).

From the ELX raves I suspect it might be somewhat better if they share components/design. But how much better is the big question.

The biggest problem with Promaster (IMHO) is that they're not carried (AFAIK) by "binocuholic" friendly stores like Eagle Optics, CameraLandNY or Optics Planet where you can order, try out and return with the only penalty being shipping costs.

Of course CameraLandNY is going to carry the ELX ED and I've asked Doug if he will carry the non-ED Elite range too. That would make this sort of comparison a lot easier easier if they did.

I thought you'd be eyeing the 8x32, Tero. Only $149 ;)

Update: Doug says they carry the full Promaster range.

But I can't find them on the CameraLandNY.com website. Not in the Products > Sport Optics pop-up. Or visible in a site specific Google search.

I asked him for a link (though I suspect their web site might need an update).

So that would be one option for a buy and try and return with no penalty in 7 days web retailer.

Kevin "no connection to Doug or any other optics seller" Purcell

Last edited:
I thought you'd be eyeing the 8x32, Tero. Only $149
Yes I always like to handle those in stores. It is sort of the cute girl in high school that you just have to go talk to. And pretty soon you are dancing with a new pair of binoculars.

But I have three 8x32s still. Thus the dilemma. They are very handy, I give them to guests and family members and pretty much all can use them.

Maybe we can get Doug to comment on the less expensive model. If they really are that good and for that price then they are going to be a hot commodity rather quickly.

Hello,

I would like to add that the ELX seems to be the repeat of a familiar phenomenon: an important innovation goes down market. In this case, ED glass on a roof prism binocular, although the Swift ED Porro ED binoculars were not outrageously expensive. Looking at the photo, it appears that diopter setting is not internal as it is on some of the Alpha binoculars, but that is a small matter.
If I did not have my fill of binoculars, I might jump on my bicycle and travel the two miles to Doug and Scotty. Of course, I do not have an 8x42 ED binocular...

Happy observing,
Arthur :brains:

Yes I always like to handle those in stores. It is sort of the cute girl in high school that you just have to go talk to. And pretty soon you are dancing with a new pair of binoculars.

But I have three 8x32s still. Thus the dilemma. They are very handy, I give them to guests and family members and pretty much all can use them.

So that means you have 3 to compare with ... and experience with more 8x32s too.

Go on, go talk to her. You can tell us what she's like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back