• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ptilopsis leucotis margarethae (Jordans & Neubaur, 1932) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ptilopsis leucotis margarethae (Jordans & Neubaur, 1932)
Der Vogel wurde von † le Roi erbeutet auf der Expedition von Geheimrat Koenig in den Sudan. Wir benennen die Rasse zu Ehren von dessen Gattin, die diese wie so viele andere seiner Forschungsreisen mitmachte.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Margareta (le Roi) Northern White-faced Owl ssp. Otus leucotis margarethae von Jordans & Neubaur, 1932 NCR [Now Ptilopsis leucotis; NRM]
Mrs Margareta le Roi (DNF) was the wife of Dr Otto le Roi (see Roi).

The Key to Scientific Names
Margareta le Roi (fl. 1932) wife of German ornithologist Dr Otto le Roi (syn. Ptilopsis leucotis).

Are we sure that this dedication is not for MARGARETHE KOENIG (1865–1943)? she travelled with her man. But I must admit that we can read it that way that it is for Otto le Roi wife. I have no clue if his wifes name was Margareta.

Obit for Otto

Otto De Roi 1878-196.
Born 28. November 1878 in Zweibrücken in der Rheinpfalz.

"So hat Otto le Roi die Treue gegen sein Vaterland mit dem Tode besiegelt."
Died on October 11, 1916, Carpathian Front

Nothing I can see about a wife.

I ran into this (unfinished) thread while looking for something else, and note that the dedication to "Margareta le Roi (fl. 1932) wife of German ornithologist Dr Otto le Roi" is still accepted in the Key.

As I understand the wording of the dedication, it could equally be to le Roi's, or to Koenig's wife. (The sentence structure is quite un-English which makes a word-to-word translation a bit uneasy, but the meaning is something like: "The bird was caught by † le Roi on the expedition of Gemeinrat Koenig to Sudan. We name the race in honour of the latter's wife who, as she did in so many others of his research trips, took part in this one.")
But Koenig certainly had a wife; her name was certainly Margarethe; he certainly went on many research trips; his wife certainly took part in many of these; and she certainly took part in the trip to Sudan.
As for le Roi, it doesn't seem obvious that he ever had a wife at all; nor, actually, that he himself made that many research trips in which this hypothetical wife could have taken part -- in the obit, we are told that his boss took him on his trips to Spitzbergen, Egypt and Sudan, but for the rest, his career seems to have been in Germany; not to mention that it would be a bit unusual to see a taxon name honouring someone for being the wife of a zoologist who had been dead for sixteen years...

If I had to bet money, I really don't think I'd have problems to make my choice. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back