• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulborough Brooks (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Nice walk around RSPB Pulborough Brooks today, White-tailed Eagle, several Hobbies, Great White Egret and Little Ringed Plover the best of the birds. Great views of Newts, including a couple of Great Crested and lots of insects to keep us interested. Lots of more pics on the Blog at the link!

559A7113.JPG

Got to the reserve at 06.35 this morning after a stonking Thunderstorm in Petersfield over night. As I walked down the hill there was another birder sat on a small stool peering into the bushes around, so I asked him if he had seen any Nightingales. Well no he said. Then in a moment that I'm sure will live with us both a long time, a small bird flew out of the bushes and landed on the path about 20 yards down the hill. I looked at it and announced "There's a Nightingale!" What a stroke of luck for us both. We walked right around the reserve during the next couple of hours but didn't hear or see any more. Down at the viewpoint above Nettley hide he calmly announced : "That's a White Stork!". And indeed it was. Eventually we got close enough to see rings on it's left leg confirming what we thought: A Knepp bird - it's only a few miles away. As Paul E says, plenty of Butterflies (when the sun came out). But we thought it would be prudent to get moving as the forecast was for widespread rain , and more thunderstorms. As I write this in Petersfield it is indeed raining.

Anyone got a grid reference for the flocks of Hawfinch at Butser?

Got to the reserve at 06.35 this morning after a stonking Thunderstorm in Petersfield over night. As I walked down the hill there was another birder sat on a small stool peering into the bushes around, so I asked him if he had seen any Nightingales. Well no he said. Then in a moment that I'm sure will live with us both a long time, a small bird flew out of the bushes and landed on the path about 20 yards down the hill. I looked at it and announced "There's a Nightingale!" What a stroke of luck for us both. We walked right around the reserve during the next couple of hours but didn't hear or see any more. Down at the viewpoint above Nettley hide he calmly announced : "That's a White Stork!". And indeed it was. Eventually we got close enough to see rings on it's left leg confirming what we thought: A Knepp bird - it's only a few miles away. As Paul E says, plenty of Butterflies (when the sun came out). But we thought it would be prudent to get moving as the forecast was for widespread rain , and more thunderstorms. As I write this in Petersfield it is indeed raining.

Anyone got a grid reference for the flocks of Hawfinch at Butser?
4 Wood Sandpipers reported from the Hangar this morning!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back