• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pycnonotus leucogenys lapersonnei Abdulali 1982 & Carpodacus rubicilloides lapersonnei Meinertzhagen, R & Meinertzhagen, AC 1926 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Pycnonotus leucogenys lapersonnei Abdulali 1982 OD here
Carpodacus rubicilloides lapersonnei Meinertzhagen, R & Meinertzhagen, AC 1926 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Streaked Rosefinch ssp. Carpodacus rubicilloides lapersonnei Hartert & Steinbacher, 1932
NCR [JS Carpodacus rubicilloides lucifer]
V. S. LaPersonne (fl.1900–1934) was a British Indian ornithologist who also visited Iraq, Iran, Kuwait and New Zealand. His collecting trips to islands in the Persian Gulf (1914 and 1921–1923) were to investigate migration. He wrote a number of articles including: 'The Common Central Asian Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis pallasii Reichenb.) in Nepal' (1933), all published in the Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society; he was Assistant Curator of the Society's museum.

First of all I do not think that Hartert & Steinbacher, 1932 is correct. But feel free to correct me. I think Richard Meinertzhagen and Annie Constance Meinertzhagen should get the credit of authorship.

The old key claims:

Vivian Stanley LaPersonne (fl. 1931) British field ornithologist, Assistant Curator at Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc., collector in India, Iraq, Kuwait and New Zealand (syn. Carpodacus rubicilloides lucifer, syn. Pycnonotus leucogenys leucotis).

I agree to the name as we can find him here as member of B.O.U.

Question remaining is death 1934 correct for Vivian Stanley LaPersonne? And when and where was he born?

Also interesting to know that the La Personne family were not of British descent but descendants of a founder of the VOC Dutch colony in Cochin.

The founder of the family Jean Gerald La Personne was born in the Netherlands.

See https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/12087/Thesis.pdf?sequence=1

After the Dutch abandoned Cochin, Jean Gerald remained as a servant of the British Government and thus became a British subject but I am not sure I would call them Anglo-Indian.

Looking a little further I find that Vivian's wife Ida and daughter regularly traveled back to visit her parents in the UK up until when records cease in 1958. She was always listed as a housewife and never as a widow. Using these records one can tell that the family apparently moved to Singapore following Indian independence in 1947. I assume Vivian died in Singapore between 1958 and 1997. Searching the Singaporean archive for this period would cost about US$4000!

P

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back