• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Qatar/Doha Birding Spots (2 Viewers)

crettie

United Kingdom
I'm going to be in Qatar for part of the world cup and I'm planning to do some birdwatching whilst I'm out there.

Are there any locations in Doha or further afield (if accessible by public transport) that are worth checking out in particular?

For future reference of anyone interested in birding in the Doha area:

1) Doha in General
There's plenty of green spaces around the city containing the following species almost wherever there is a hint of green:
  • Common Myna
  • Indian Silverbill
  • White-Eared Bulbul
  • Laughing Dove
  • Plus a smattering of common European birds such as house sparrow, feral pigeons and collared doves

2) The Corniche
The main bay area of the city with unusually few birds, although the common birds listed above are all easily found. Managed to get one life tick with the western reef heron but other than this it was a couple of common sandpipers, lesser black backed gulls and a lone whimbrel that made up the list.

3) Al Bidda Park
Probably the highlight so far a large park with a mixture of manicured lawns and bushy scrubland the latter of which was best for birding. Finds included:
  • Grey Francolin
  • Hoopoe
  • Masked Shrike
  • Isabelline Shrike
  • Great Grey Shrike
  • Red Vented Bulbul
  • Barred Warbler
  • Long Tailed Glossy Starling
  • Ring-Necked Parakeets
  • House Crow
  • Delicate Prinia* (visually confirmed but due to recent split with Graceful Prinia song ID is required for full confirmation - I plan to revisit to confirm but recent logs on eBird along with sound recordings show it's present in the park)
  • All the common birds listed above

For future reference of anyone interested in birding in the Doha area:

1) Doha in General
There's plenty of green spaces around the city containing the following species almost wherever there is a hint of green:
  • Common Myna
  • Indian Silverbill
  • White-Eared Bulbul
  • Laughing Dove
  • Plus a smattering of common European birds such as house sparrow, feral pigeons and collared doves

2) The Corniche
The main bay area of the city with unusually few birds, although the common birds listed above are all easily found. Managed to get one life tick with the western reef heron but other than this it was a couple of common sandpipers, lesser black backed gulls and a lone whimbrel that made up the list.

3) Al Bidda Park
Probably the highlight so far a large park with a mixture of manicured lawns and bushy scrubland the latter of which was best for birding. Finds included:
  • Grey Francolin
  • Hoopoe
  • Masked Shrike
  • Isabelline Shrike
  • Great Grey Shrike
  • Red Vented Bulbul
  • Barred Warbler
  • Long Tailed Glossy Starling
  • Ring-Necked Parakeets
  • House Crow
  • Delicate Prinia* (visually confirmed but due to recent split with Graceful Prinia song ID is required for full confirmation - I plan to revisit to confirm but recent logs on eBird along with sound recordings show it's present in the park)
  • All the common birds listed above
Long-tailed Glossy Starling presumably are escapes; I haven't heard that they've become established...
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back