• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question from Pennsylvania, USA (1 Viewer)

JCA

United States
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
March 2023
Birdfeeder

Anyone have any thoughts on this bird? Could it possibly be a pregnant House Finch? I saw it one day in late March and haven’t seen it since. It’s the size of a finch, but I never saw one so fat.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• E373DAC3-CE15-4F3C-8AEE-1DCD436A0232.jpeg
    E373DAC3-CE15-4F3C-8AEE-1DCD436A0232.jpeg
    1,021 KB · Views: 28
  • 097D4CE3-F1FF-413F-AE39-167CC16E8A2E.jpeg
    097D4CE3-F1FF-413F-AE39-167CC16E8A2E.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 28
  • E3259862-7E7C-40D8-8EEB-CA047B6D6333.jpeg
    E3259862-7E7C-40D8-8EEB-CA047B6D6333.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 28
It may be a little early in the year for it to be carrying an egg. I think it is just scrunched down and fluffed up, making it look chubby.

Thank you! I do get a ton of brown-headed cowbirds, both male and female. I've never seen one with this body shape. Could it be pregnant?
"Pregnant" isn't quite the right word to use on birds, but I suppose they do get a bit heavier when they're about to lay eggs. But I've never been able to notice. Birds can fluff up their feathers, making them look bigger. They do that when they're cold, for example. If your bird is sick (it might be, something about its posture, closed eyes, ... it just doesn't seem active and alert) it might be feverish.

It's still pretty early for egg-laying, though you're probably a couple weeks ahead of me. Cowbirds are obligate brood parasites, they need to wait for other species to build nests that the cowbirds can sneak their eggs into. I haven't seen any nest-building yet - the trees are bare so there's no cover for branch-nesting species, and even the cavity-builders don't have much grass or other materials to work with.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I love this site! It was a cold and very windy day, so she was probably scrunching down and fluffing her feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back