• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick qeusions (1 Viewer)

libirder

This spring ive really been getting into birding and birdwatching and I have many feeders set up and this spring ive been hoping to plant lots of native shrubs and put up a few nest boxes.

WEll i got a few quesions about them. I have a very Big ope area in my front yard and im goin to purchase two bluebird and tree swallow nest one for each,a chicadee/wren house and a robin shelf.But i have sme questions about mounting. Whats the best way to mount the box in an open are I would really want to hangit on a fents either.

THe droll yankeesBird mount looks good.http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.co...3.html?zenid=b1f00c7fa65ba1ecda66647d565dea37 this http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.com/6-garden-pole-p-443.html and this. but it doesnt seem like it would work for the bird houses im goin to get.

Im goin to purcahse 3 of these dont knw which ones.http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.com/nest-boxes-c-5.html?zenid=d2f32b42abec14c0179f7fe95809a848 THose are my optoins.

So can anyone tell wich house i should get and the best way to mount them.

Thnx for help

Hey LIBirder,

Bluebirds and Tree Swallows are very picky in their habitat choices, and unless you live in a good area on Long Island (such as the Locust Valley area, Montauk, or Calverton) for them with a substanially large piece of property (i.e. >5 acres) they won't nest on it; then House Sparrows will take over the boxes and it will become a rather unfortunate situation. I would suggest Robin nest boxes and chickadee boxes to start out with as they are both common species and also House Wren boxes. All three of these nest boxes will not be used by House Sparrows.

Black-capped Chickadees prefer nest boxes attached to trees, Robins prefer boxes in bushes and deep cover, and House Wrens like boxes hung with string from small trees.
With these boxes it won't be necessary to purchase poles and mounts, all you need is some string and nails.

Nice to see another 14 year old birder on Long Island.

Anyone? I really want to put up some boxes before spring.

I would suggest that you consult the New York State Bluebird Society.
You can find them on the net.
I'm sure they have people in your area with local experience.
I mount my bluebird boxes on 7' U-channel fence stakes available at Home
Depot for about five dollars.
Many of the commercially produced nestboxes are overpriced and of poor design/construction.
There are people in the NYS Bluebird society who maintain as many as two hundred nest boxes.You can learn an awful lot from people with that kind of experience.
Are you prepared to evict the house sparrows that will certainly compete with
bluebirds and tree swallows?

Hey LIBirder,

Bluebirds and Tree Swallows are very picky in their habitat choices, and unless you live in a good area on Long Island (such as the Locust Valley area, Montauk, or Calverton) for them with a substanially large piece of property (i.e. >5 acres) they won't nest on it; then House Sparrows will take over the boxes and it will become a rather unfortunate situation. I would suggest Robin nest boxes and chickadee boxes to start out with as they are both common species and also House Wren boxes. All three of these nest boxes will not be used by House Sparrows.

Black-capped Chickadees prefer nest boxes attached to trees, Robins prefer boxes in bushes and deep cover, and House Wrens like boxes hung with string from small trees.
With these boxes it won't be necessary to purchase poles and mounts, all you need is some string and nails.

Nice to see another 14 year old birder on Long Island.

Wow thats really cool.Both of us forteen on long island.

I Have a very large area of open land with big trees close by and I kno have larger then a 5 acre land
.And i also live by the water witch ive read that swallows like nesting near bodies of water.And ive read that both birds like living in open area. So as far as im concerned it seems like a good habitat.(more for swallows). Yes i am defintly ready for those sparrows.

Yea im goin to purchase a robin shelf and a house wren house.Ive got a good place for both.But will th wren just as likely us a pole mounted house then a hanging house?And what do you think the dimension of the hole ive herd a couple different answers.Thnx for help

I would suggest that you consult the New York State Bluebird Society.
You can find them on the net.
I'm sure they have people in your area with local experience.
I mount my bluebird boxes on 7' U-channel fence stakes available at Home
Depot for about five dollars.
Many of the commercially produced nestboxes are overpriced and of poor design/construction.
There are people in the NYS Bluebird society who maintain as many as two hundred nest boxes.You can learn an awful lot from people with that kind of experience.
Are you prepared to evict the house sparrows that will certainly compete with
bluebirds and tree swallows?

Yea I think im going to contact the New York State Bluebird Society.Okay I have a home depot close buy a mounting stake.Where do you think i should get the bluebird house? And yea im very prepared to deal with house sparrows. Thnx for help.

It sounds as if you have some good habitat for Swallows and Bluebirds. Tree Swallows are indeed attracted to water because they feed on insects that breed in it.

I personally have never seen a pole mounted House Wren box, but I'm sure that they wouldn't have a preference over the two, seeing that they are the only birds that nest in hanging boxes

BTW, what sort of birds do you normally have in your yard?

Yea so thats why I wanted to bluebird house up even if i dont get blue birds ill get some swallows which is good. and im glad i live near the water so they have a nice food supply.

Oh okay ill manage which ever one I can find for a cheap price.But still a good house.

Um normally.Blue jays,cardinals,purple and house finches,red bellied and downy woodpeckers,house sparrows and starlings,White and red breasted nuthatches,Carolina wrens,mourning doves,White thraoted sparrows,Dark eyed juncos,Northern mocking birds,Brown headed cowbirds.Black capped chicadees,
And thats all i can think of at this point that are usually in my yard. But i just started birding this fall so Idk what spring and summer birds I get but ill find out soon.

What birds do you normally see and your yard.

Oh yea I forgot some obvios ones lol i wasnt thinking.Tufted titmice,Common grackle,Red winged blackbird, Herring gull,I actually get a coopers or a sharp shinned hawk once a weak,American crow.

Thats an excellent yard list.

I consider my yard pretty good for birds, some of the better ones:

Northern Goshawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Merlin
Northern Harrier
Saw-whet Owl
Eastern-screech Owl
Great-horned Owl
Northern Bobwhite
Great-crested Flycatcher
Northern Waterthrush
Tennesee Warbler
Lots of Warblers
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Orchard Oriole
Black-crowned Night Heron
Common Tern
Least Tern
Bank Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Black-billed Cuckoo

Of course I get all the common feeder birds and hawks etc.

In the spring you should find many species of warblers, which are deifinitely some of the coolest birds around. You'll also see orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, both great birds.

Last edited:
Yea I think im going to contact the New York State Bluebird Society.Okay I have a home depot close buy a mounting stake.Where do you think i should get the bluebird house? And yea im very prepared to deal with house sparrows. Thnx for help.

The NYS bluebird society is a source for bluebird houses.
Bluebird houses are frequently mounted in pairs about fifteen feet apart.,

The idea being that tree swallows (which are very abundant in New York State) will occupy one of the houses and generally not tolerarate another pair of swallows at that distance.They will however allow bluebirds to nest within fifteen feet.
The hardcore bluebird fanatics invariably use this pairing arrangement.
The other indigenous species likely to use your houses are tufted titmouse,chickadee and house wren.
A key to wren house placement is a location near shrub or brush habitat.

Bluebirds produce multiple broods throughout the summer usually two broods where I live in Western New York (sometimes three).I would guess that they produce three broods more often where you live because the climate is milder.
Most people give up too early, failing to realize that bluebirds are on the lookout all summer for breeding cavities after many of the competing species have concluded nesting.
Contact the NYS bluebird society and you will get the benefit of knowledgeable,successful bluebirders in your area to help you out.

Thats an excellent yard list.

I consider my yard pretty good for birds, some of the better ones:

Northern Goshawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Merlin
Northern Harrier
Saw-whet Owl
Eastern-screech Owl
Great-horned Owl
Northern Bobwhite
Great-crested Flycatcher
Northern Waterthrush
Tennesee Warbler
Lots of Warblers
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Orchard Oriole
Black-crowned Night Heron
Common Tern
Least Tern
Bank Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Black-billed Cuckoo

Of course I get all the common feeder birds and hawks etc.

In the spring you should find many species of warblers, which are deifinitely some of the coolest birds around. You'll also see orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, both great birds.

Wow awesome birds of prey.You list is awesome i only hope to only get halfs those birds.

Yea Im really excited for spring.Im getting a bird bathes,some new bird feeders and hopefully some bird houses.

Just wondering. What kind of feeders and seeds do you have and what seed do you put in them?And do you have any native plants that really attract birds.Im really hoping to plant this spring.

The NYS bluebird society is a source for bluebird houses.
Bluebird houses are frequently mounted in pairs about fifteen feet apart.,

The idea being that tree swallows (which are very abundant in New York State) will occupy one of the houses and generally not tolerarate another pair of swallows at that distance.They will however allow bluebirds to nest within fifteen feet.
The hardcore bluebird fanatics invariably use this pairing arrangement.
The other indigenous species likely to use your houses are tufted titmouse,chickadee and house wren.
A key to wren house placement is a location near shrub or brush habitat.

Bluebirds produce multiple broods throughout the summer usually two broods where I live in Western New York (sometimes three).I would guess that they produce three broods more often where you live because the climate is milder.
Most people give up too early, failing to realize that bluebirds are on the lookout all summer for breeding cavities after many of the competing species have concluded nesting.
Contact the NYS bluebird society and you will get the benefit of knowledgeable,successful bluebirders in your area to help you out.

Oh really I didnt see any blue bird house for sale at the NYS bluebird society.CAn you give me the link?

Im kinda of hoping that a tree swallow will occupy one and chase way any other swallows in it territory and thenn a pair of blue bird occupy the other and they toleratde eachother.But I wouldnt mione if two blue birds pairs move in.or wo tree swallows.

I dont think a chicadee or a titmouse woud nest in the box mainly because im going to be putting it in an open area,but if even if they did i would be happy to have them.And im hoping that a pair of wren will occupy my wren house.(Do you think I should post mount the house or hang the house my yard is capable of either or).I got a perfect place for it too.

Ive never actaully seen A bluebird in my yard but ive heard and read that they are on the rise on li.So i really hope there in my area.I would never let an house sparrow take up residence of my houses.And if a different native spieces occupies it have have another next box.Ive went on the site and looked for people in my on long island but there was know one to contact on li which isnt a good sign.

I actually do not feed my birds. Instead I plant lots of shrubs and plants that birds like, and have a small ornamental pond which is a big attraction.

Some plants I can reccomend are Yews, Spicebush, and impatients. Yews provide excellent cover and are evergeens. I have had several pairs of Robins nest in the yew raround my house, and lots of species feed on the berries including warblers, cardinals, catbirds and robins.

Spicebush also provides cover, and produces large amounts of berries that are coveted by robins and catbirds. One fall I had over 100 Robins and 25 Catbirds feeding on the berries at one time.

Impatients are good because they are hardy, and they are extremely popular amongst hummingbirds. I have had numerous hummingbirds in my yard feeding on them.

Oh really I didnt see any blue bird house for sale at the NYS bluebird society.CAn you give me the link?

Im kinda of hoping that a tree swallow will occupy one and chase way any other swallows in it territory and thenn a pair of blue bird occupy the other and they toleratde eachother.But I wouldnt mione if two blue birds pairs move in.or wo tree swallows.

I dont think a chicadee or a titmouse woud nest in the box mainly because im going to be putting it in an open area,but if even if they did i would be happy to have them.And im hoping that a pair of wren will occupy my wren house.(Do you think I should post mount the house or hang the house my yard is capable of either or).I got a perfect place for it too.

Ive never actaully seen A bluebird in my yard but ive heard and read that they are on the rise on li.So i really hope there in my area.I would never let an house sparrow take up residence of my houses.And if a different native spieces occupies it have have another next box.Ive went on the site and looked for people in my on long island but there was know one to contact on li which isnt a good sign.

http://www.nysbs.org/

I actually do not feed my birds. Instead I plant lots of shrubs and plants that birds like, and have a small ornamental pond which is a big attraction.

Some plants I can reccomend are Yews, Spicebush, and impatients. Yews provide excellent cover and are evergeens. I have had several pairs of Robins nest in the yew raround my house, and lots of species feed on the berries including warblers, cardinals, catbirds and robins.

Spicebush also provides cover, and produces large amounts of berries that are coveted by robins and catbirds. One fall I had over 100 Robins and 25 Catbirds feeding on the berries at one time.

Impatients are good because they are hardy, and they are extremely popular amongst hummingbirds. I have had numerous hummingbirds in my yard feeding on them.

Yea i heard native planting is the better way to atract birds and thats why im goin to be planting alot this spring.I was going to plant the spicebush already I heard birds really liked it. Ive never heard of the yew and it sounds good.And my one of my mom favorite flower is impatients.

So i gotta alot of planting to do.

thnx for help.

oh yea on your list of birds in you backyard and I saw the yellow billed and black billed cuckoo and thos are awesome birds.Do you attract them in any way or are they just an ocassional visitor? Because in would love seing them around

The cuckoos are both attracted to Weeping Willows, especially the Black-billed. In years of Gypsy-moth Caterpillar population increases both species will feed on the caterpillars. They prefer large shade trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back