• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R8 or R7 for grid photography (1 Viewer)

massisenergy

India
I'm a new birder & this is my first post here. I currently shoot with a 90D + EFS 55-250. I want to upgrade to RF100-500 lens with either R8 or R7. From reviews I see that both have advantage & disadvantages as follow:

R7
  1. Crop sensor, further reach!
  2. Dual SD card slot, bigger battery
  3. IBIS (in body image stabilization)
R8
  1. Full frame but lower megapixel -> potentially smaller file size?
  2. Single SD, smaller battery -> utilities don't bother me that much
  3. Lack of IBIS -> Is it very important? Will it hinder my ability to shoot with higher success rate if I had an R7 with the 100-500?
  4. Better low-light that R7? - this looks very important to me, cause I want to image all kind of birds, not just the cool ones (e.g. small birds such as warblers inside reeds & inside forest canopies)
  5. Video capability -> this is nice to have but comes in importance only after still photographs.
There might be other differences, but I'm into the RF100-500 lens (surely getting it & plan to keep it for long). So, R7 or R8, being at the same price point?
Thanks for your time & suggestions:)

I had a demo from Canon with the lens (RF100-500). I'm amazed by the autofocus & image stabilization. But the demo camera was R6 Mark II which also has IBIS, I guess. Wish I could have the R8 / R7 for the demo.

Personally, I love the IBIS of my R5. Not sure if I could shoot without a tripod when using a body without IBIS.
Do you mean video or still or both?
I digress, but having great respect for old time photographers with clunky & heavy instruments, in comparison we're having such good options...

The R8 is a great camera think of it as a R6 MK2 but with a few less bells and whistles but has the same improved AF as per the R6 mk2. Not sure if the R8 takes a battery grip but you can not get one for the R7.
The 600/800 f11 have improved edge to edge focus points with the R6 mk2 so I would assume that means the R8 does so if you ever fancy those lenses it might be a point to consider.

Thanks all for your valuable input. I got the R8 + RF100-500 combo.

Downside: reach. I have to get closer to the birds compared to if I had an R7.
Good: great low-light performance, small form factor.

Now about image stabilization, I saw that there are primarily two types:
  • IBIS: in-body or in-camera stabilization (also known as sensor-shift stabilization I think)
  • IS: Stabilization mechanism added inside the lens.
Here are a two articles for the interested, about the basics & differences:
It seems to me for my purpose, with a telephoto lens, IS is more important. The result says similarly - with IS off, the photos loose sharpness (I shoot handheld). With the IS on, autofocus is quick & sticky to the subject. But I dunno how IBIS would have been, keeping it open for discussion 😄

You don't need IBIS for the 100-500 since it's already stabilized, rated at 5 stops. I think the R7 would add an extra stop of stabilization (IBIS and IS would work in sync), but it's not a huge deal really - 5 is plenty.
I'd personally go with the R7 for the reach. The 100-500 is a pain to use with teleconverters (you can't collapse the lens if you put a TC on), so ideally if you need ~800mm FF reach for shy birds - that's exactly what you'd get with the R7 (500mm * 1.6x crop = 800mm). It's a very compact and lightweight package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back