• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor and corvid, Uzbekistan (4 Viewers)

rylirk

United Kingdom
I think these are probably just familar species (common buzzard and carrion crow) but im not very familiar with the confusion species here (long legged buzzard, eastern buzzard, brown necked raven) to be sure. Taken yesterday and today in tashkent and khiva respectively

Attachments

• 20240331_152513.jpg
    20240331_152513.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
  • 20240331_152254.jpg
    20240331_152254.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 93
The Corvid certainly has a crow beak rather than a raven one.
I thought the bill seemed a bit longer than youd expect from a carrion crow? Agreed its not very thick, but i believe bn raven has quite a thin bill for a raven? The corvid did call but im not sure thats of much help; it didnt sound like classic carrion crow but not too far off; the magpies here certainly sound different so i assume crows do too

I will upload the originals when possible... meanwhile i have another one to add to the list, with a better BOC photo! Looks like chiffchaff but 1: i dont know if they even have those here and 2: it is making a soft melodic subcall i have never heard chiffchaff make (and isnt making any of the traditional chiffchaff calls). Best match i can find is willow but im not seeing any yellow in this bird at all. 3 of them in khiva right now.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_557f76ee-fa24-4688-9789-35db36b1d1f9.jpg
    Messenger_creation_557f76ee-fa24-4688-9789-35db36b1d1f9.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 36
I will upload the originals when possible... meanwhile i have another one to add to the list, with a better BOC photo! Looks like chiffchaff but 1: i dont know if they even have those here and 2: it is making a soft melodic subcall i have never heard chiffchaff make (and isnt making any of the traditional chiffchaff calls). Best match i can find is willow but im not seeing any yellow in this bird at all. 3 of them in khiva right now.
I know from personal experience that some of the Chiffchaffs in Uzbekistan are very confusing and have considered a wide range of species/subspecies to find a match. I have even had local guides shrug their shoulders and say 'had them before & dont know'. Certainly I can advise to get as may pictures as possible and post the downloads. A recording of the calls/singing - even on a phone would be useful.

Hello,

the Corvid looks like a Rook to me. I think I can detect the pale base to the bill. And general impression, including the rounded, slightly wedgeshaped tail seems better for a Rook than for a Carrion Crow.

And yes, can you upload the originals later, please?
Rook is a relatively plentiful species along the river valley agricultural areas in Uzbekistan. I too suspect it is a Rook

Rook is a relatively plentiful species along the river valley agricultural areas in Uzbekistan. I too suspect it is a Rook
Rook is indeed VERY abundant here, the call is what threw me off of rook but i have heard the rooks here make all sorts of strange calls, i think rook sounds like a good id

As promised, here are some original photos of the buzzard sp. (both photos of the same bird in Tashkent). I ended up with quite a few warblers of note so will post the original chiffchaff photo alongside those

Attachments

• P1670813.JPG
    P1670813.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 49
  • P1670814.JPG
    P1670814.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 49
As promised, here are some original photos of the buzzard sp. (both photos of the same bird in Tashkent). I ended up with quite a few warblers of note so will post the original chiffchaff photo alongside those
Looks fine for Steppe to me (compact + short winged, thin dark subterminal tail band) but best await confirmation from the raptor afficionados (Tom, Lou et al).

Just as a follow-up; here is the original for the corvid photo, and I am struggling to match it with rook? I agree the beak still looks small, but the underwing pattern looks good for brown-necked raven? Probably just reaching here but thought it'd be worth another check :) From Khiva

Attachments

• P1690021.JPG
    P1690021.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back