• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor for ID - Trinidad - Mangrove Swamp (3 Viewers)

Very interesting..bar the very hooked bill I would have said GHK... the lack of the colour on the cere & lores which the 2 HBks I've seen before and all the other photos here would have lead me to that conclusion.

But if Martyn thinks it's more HBK then you have to go with that for now... if I have a chance I'll go down there and see if I can find it. You plan to revisit the area RKA?

Of course no one has considered the fact it could also be a hybrid of both, as GHK are more common int aht area, much like that white-tailed/savanna hawk we saw last year...

Montage demonstrates a good comparison of bill tip length and overall shape suggesting the mystery bird is indeed a H.B.Kite, leaving aside iris colour which cannot be safely judged due to variation of light conditions, camera lens performance and image photoshoping.

fyi - Iris colour was Yellow.

Montage demonstrates a good comparison of bill tip length and overall shape suggesting the mystery bird is indeed a H.B.Kite, leaving aside iris colour which cannot be safely judged due to variation of light conditions, camera lens performance and image photoshoping.

I’ll forward to Bill from Raptours to take a look.

Very interesting..bar the very hooked bill I would have said GHK... the lack of the colour on the cere & lores which the 2 HBks I've seen before and all the other photos here would have lead me to that conclusion.

But if Martyn thinks it's more HBK then you have to go with that for now... if I have a chance I'll go down there and see if I can find it. You plan to revisit the area RKA?

Of course no one has considered the fact it could also be a hybrid of both, as GHK are more common int aht area, much like that white-tailed/savanna hawk we saw last year...

Just to explain why I’m confident of the iris colour:

1. The two pics show the iris both with the head in good light (pic1) and then the head turned to a shadier area(pic2).
2. Equipment wise, used a Panasonic G9 w Leica 100-400. Setup known for good colour accuracy.
3. The only mod to the original photo was an even increase in brightness and minor sharpening. Nothing was done to increase saturation, bias hues/colours,etc. Nothing was done to enhance specific areas in the picture. Curves not used.
4. Separate from the iris colour, the yellow bill colour as the base seems fine.

fyi - Iris colour was Yellow.

Bill Clark who provides input to the Raptor Field Guide for Mexico and Central America indicated the bird is a juvenile Grey-headed Kite dark morph. See his response below:

On 4 Oct 2018, at 8:12 PM, Bill Clark <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Rashid,

The photo are of a juvenile Gray-headed Kite, dark morph. Hook-billed Kite is easily eliminated by the lack of the colorful loral area always shown by that species. Look at plate 4 of our new raptor field guide for Mexico and Central America. Dark juvie GHK is in the upper right and looks like your photos. All of the figures of HBK show the strong colorful loral pattern.

Cheers, Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back