• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor from California (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

I think it's Red-tailed Hawk. Can anyone confirm this.
The photo was taken near Davis California, November this year.

Attachments

• California_ 11.2023__Y7A879825025-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg
    California_ 11.2023__Y7A879825025-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 25
second one: yes, almost certainly. Strong belly band or "cummerbund" pattern on the belly; tail pattern fits. Hawks are so variable that I'd rather see the red tail (if adult) or the patagial bar (wing underside) but it looks quite good. The big bill also fits. (Definitely rules out red-shouldered for example.) I think I see unusually bright yellow at the gape (inner corner of "lips"), which might indicate it's a very young bird. Filename seems to indicate this was also taken in November, so that seems slightly unlikely, but maybe in California they breed later than I'm used to.

Both (certainly) red-tailed hawks, for the reasons given above. First adult, second immature - tail-pattern, in both cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back