• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors in Canada (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I'm off to Canada on the 22nd September and would be grateful on any tips on what Birds of Prey to look out for and where? The plan is to start on Vancover Island at East Sooke National Park (for the Turkey Vulture Migration) and then head north staying at Victoria and Telegraph Cove before catching the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Then I'll be catching a train on the 1st October to Jasper and spending time there and travelling around Banff before flying out of Calgary on the 15th October. I also hope to spend a day at Mount Lorette in the Kananskis Valley for the Golden Eagle Migration. I've got the National Geographic Guide to Birds of North America and from that it sounds like I may have a chance with the following:

Turkey Vulture, Osprey, Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Sharp-Shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Goshawk, Broad Winged Hawk, Swainson's Hawk, Red Tailed Hawk, Ferruginous Hawk, Rough Legged Hawk, Golden Eagle, American Kestrel, GyrFalcon, Peregrine Falcon.

I’d be really disappointed not to see Bald Eagles (one of the main reasons for going) and it sounds like they’re quite numerous. It also sounds like I should have a good chance of Red Tailed Hawk, Golden Eagle, Osprey, Northern Harrier, Sharp-Shinned Hawk and Cooper’s Hawk. I’d love to see a Gyr Falcon too, well I’d really love to see all of them if I’m honest. I’d be really grateful for any information on good sites to see any of the above that isn’t too far off our route.
Thank you
Adam

While I can't help you with your questions, I have copied this thread to the "Information Wanted" forum where more folks might see it. :t:

Adam,
I can't help you too much for the Vancouver area, but when you get into the Rockies I can help a little.
First for the Golden Eagle migration - this is a fantastic opportunity to see Golden Eagles, but they are usually distant. The web site to follow the migration monitoring is Peter Sherington's Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation
Check out the monthly (or daily) migration counts as there are lots of raptors besides Golden Eagles and you can also get a good idea of how busy the migration will be on the days you plan to be there. There are generally some good views of Bald Eagles at the site also.

All the raptors you mentioned are here but are seasonal. The Red-taileds will be migrating out and the Rough-leggeds will be arriving for the winter. You might want to check some count records to get an idea of which ones will be more common. Right now I'm seeing 9 Swainson's for each Red-tailed.

You might want to check out the Nanaimo rare bird alert (on BF) to see what they are seeing currently. You can check out the Yahoo group "Albertabird" for current sightings in Alberta.

Good luck and enjoy your trip,
You'll be visiting a breathtaking area!

Thank-you both,
Really can't wait. I've just been looking at some old threads on identifying some of the Buteos - I hope I don't struggle too much!
Thank-you
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back