• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed Leiothrix, Cinque Terre (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi, I'll be staying in Liguria (Italy) for about week in January. It's not a birding trip and I have no potential lifers there except this feral species. Most sightings on eBird seem to be in the Cinque Terre NP. I'll be staying in Sestri Levante (there's one eBird sighting there...) but I will probably have a little time to search for the species in the National Park area.
Are there any reliable locations to see this species between La Spezia and Portofino ? In what type of habitat should I look for it ?
I guess it's more difficult to see in winter but I will give it a try anyways :)
Thanks !

I'm returning from Italy today and found Red-Billed Leiothrix pretty easily in Monterosso al Mare, near the convent of the Capuchin friars, a group of about 15 birds (44,1461030, 9,6531039).

Today, on my way to Livorno, I stopped at the Oasi LIPU Massaciuccoli and found again about 10 RBL (43,8404066, 10,3528075).
I didn't find any Red Avadavats there, which was my main reason for stopping, but it was very windy and seeing passerines in general proved difficult...
I did see 6 Sacred Ibises there though.

Attachments

• 20240109_114157.jpg
    20240109_114157.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back