• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed leiothrix in Britain (1 Viewer)

As well as the warming climate, the increase in people feeding birds in their gardens is also likely to have helped them make it through winter.
This bit stood out to me from the Guardian article. I have become increasing convinced that bird feeding is damaging for a variety of reasons, so this is one more reason.

How do you pronounce it? (Leiothrix that is, I think I have a handle on the red bit).

Lythrix, leothrix or something else?

Last edited:
This bit stood out to me from the Guardian article. I have become increasing convinced that bird feeding is damaging for a variety of reasons, so this is one more reason.
Is habitat loss also a factor? IOW, are the invasive species better adapted to co-existing with humans then the species they're replacing?

Is it a bit of a leap to suggest they may wreak havoc considering the few records so far? On the other hand at least they are on the radar and may be able to be rounded up humanely (i.e netted) and placed in an appropriate aviary or something similar.

Is it a bit of a leap to suggest they may wreak havoc considering the few records so far? On the other hand at least they are on the radar and may be able to be rounded up humanely (i.e netted) and placed in an appropriate aviary or something similar.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest they will be damaging to native birds here, on the basis of the situation in other European countries. Certainly it would seem to make sense to take action sooner rather than later (if it's even possible, which it might not be).

Lie-o-thrix apparently.
That's certainly the German pronunciation. Other pronunciations are available, one being where you pronounce all the vowels, thus Leh-ee-owe-thrix, with the emphasis on 'owe'...

You pays your money and you makes your choice...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back