• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red bird in Massachusetts. (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I am on holiday in Massachusetts and managed a shot of this bird. It is the size of a large finch or maybe slightly larger. I thought it might be a juvenile Northern Cardinal, but I am not really sure. Any help would be appreciated IMG_3092.jpeg

It is very red. Much more than the ones I've seen. Typically theres a bit of a distict eye-brow which I don't see here. That said I can't see it as being something else, just a very red House Finch.

It is very red. Much more than the ones I've seen. Typically theres a bit of a distict eye-brow which I don't see here. That said I can't see it as being something else, just a very red House Finch.
It might have to do with the 'white balance'; the greens also seem to have too much red in them, if this makes sense.

The sky has a hint of reddish, so it's partly the photo - but certainly house finch is variable and this is at the far red end of their spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back