• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted goose, Cley Marshes, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Which brought the rbg closer to birders.
Remembering that today is 10 years since the fatal Black Hawk helicopter crash on the edge of the reserve, after hitting a flock of geese.
That's not exactly what happened, but close.
When the jet came, the flock stampeded and flew directly away from the noise source. The larger flock with the RBG in it flew nearly all the way to the main road and settled in a much smaller field. Because there was a road running right next to that field, it meant the goose could be observed at much closer range.
When observing the goose, I've heard suggestions that low-flying aircraft should be banned from flying over the reserve. I agree.

When the jet came, the flock stampeded and flew directly away from the noise source. The larger flock with the RBG in it flew nearly all the way to the main road and settled in a much smaller field. Because there was a road running right next to that field, it meant the goose could be observed at much closer range.
When observing the goose, I've heard suggestions that low-flying aircraft should be banned from flying over the reserve. I agree.
You would think the USAF would avoid the area!

I worked at Cley Marshes NWT for many years before, during and after the fatal HH60 accident......incidents of low flying fixed and rotary wing military aircraft were regular and reported via the appropriate channels, not just the USAF I should add. Private aircraft and paragliders remain a problem, flying under 500' along the shoreline and thus disturbing roosting, breeding and feeding birds whilst military exercises over the reserve have reduced though nearby offshore is a designated (ARA8) air refuelling block and training area. At a given height and notification the Muckleborough collection is also used as an MOD training waypoint.
I love the image of Brents stampeding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back