• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Tail - Toronto, Ontario (1 Viewer)

Potatoheaded Bobby

Canada
Good morning to all,
Taken yesterday April 26/23. I believe this to be a juvenile Red Tail.
Has a kind of youngish inquisitive look about it. Your help as always will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

DGS08357.JPG

The secondaries are quite strongly barred (suggesting red-shouldered hawk), but I think it probably is red-tailed hawk (chest-markings, narrow dark tail-bars). The tail-pattern then makes it immature.
It would help to see other photos with the head more side-on.

I'm a little confused about the position of the wing - are we seeing barred feathers on the chest, or are those feathers part of the wing?

It looks like we are seeing some white and dark brown barred feathers on the breast and some light brown and dark brown barred feathers on the wing. I agree that this is a Red-tailed Hawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back