• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll sp. ID, Warwickshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Greetings,
I'm interested in opinions of this pale redpoll seen on my local patch recently. I received the photos with the email quoted below, but unfortunately no shots from other angles are available. Mealy crossed my mind, a species which I've been unable to positively find amongst the redpoll flocks despite trying, but I'm aware that Lesser Redpoll plumage can become faded as the winter/spring progresses. Any thoughts?
Kind regards,
Matt

'Thought we'd found Arctic Redpoll this morning when several birds in the flock feeding in the Alders near the Wood Lane car park appeared unusually white - pehaps because they were initially hanging upside down facing us, but as it was dull, we dismissed the idea and I shot these pics to compare one with those in the rest of the flock. On looking up the features in Collins on our return, there appear some similarities,
but not enough to convince us that they were anything other than light Commons In any case most are normally seen on the coast. What do you think?

Attachments

• redpoll1.jpg
    redpoll1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 92
  • redpoll2.jpg
    redpoll2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 79
  • redpoll3.jpg
    redpoll3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 57
  • redpoll4.jpg
    redpoll4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 38
  • redpoll5.jpg
    redpoll5.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 50
Matt Hi,

I can't see anything that jumps out and suggests Common..from what I can see of the upperparts they look just like the Lesser's that I have daily on my feeders.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back