• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstart (Poland) (1 Viewer)

misikuru

Poland
Hello. Can anyone help me ID this bird? A female common redstart or a black redstart?

1. I don't see any orange shade on its belly
2. I saw it at a construction site

So I'm guessing it's rather a black redstart. What do you think? Photoa taken today in Greater Poland, Poland.

Attachments

• P1017968.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 80
  • P1017969.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 61
It helps to get a view of the underparts so that you can see the (lack of) contrast between upperside and underside - but, yes, it looks grey and dingy enough to be black redstart. And the habitat doesn't sound much like real redstart.

Hello,
I agree with Butty and ApusApus, its a Black Redstart for me too (only the appearantly large eye distracts slightly from ID, a large eyed jizz, seemingly enhancing an open faced impression is a jizz feature of many Common Redstarts).

A question to others: has this bird 4 emerginations (I think so, but thats a feature, I still learn here.Thanks) or 3 (no I dont think is a Common RS as said)

And yes, if you saw the bird at a "strictly" construction site without smallish gardens, some trees or similar, than habitat is better for Black Redstart. But I am still surprised, how regular Common Redstarts in NE-Germany are in habitat that would favour Black RS from my experience from locations in SW-Germany.

I was in Berlin last week and similar situation there, even in "city habitats". Appearantly only a few gardens, trees .... are enough to make a Common RS happy , judging from the singing males (Confirmation or correction please!)

On passage occasionally, however, you’d be very lucky to hear/see a CR in London in the habitat you’ve described holding territory Alexander….perhaps one day. 🙏

Cheers

A question to others: has this bird 4 emerginations (I think so, but thats a feature, I still learn here.Thanks) or 3 (no I dont think is a Common RS as said)
Yes, the four outermost long PP show a step along the border indicating emargination. These are supposed to be P3 to P6, as in Black R.
P2, the outermost never shows a step, it,s completely emarginated and in this bird seems to be hidden below.

Hello,
I agree with Butty and ApusApus, its a Black Redstart for me too (only the appearantly large eye distracts slightly from ID, a large eyed jizz, seemingly enhancing an open faced impression is a jizz feature of many Common Redstarts).

And yes, if you saw the bird at a "strictly" construction site without smallish gardens, some trees or similar, than habitat is better for Black Redstart. But I am still surprised, how regular Common Redstarts in NE-Germany are in habitat that would favour Black RS from my experience from locations in SW-Germany.

I was in Berlin last week and similar situation there, even in "city habitats". Appearantly only a few gardens, trees .... are enough to make a Common RS happy , judging from the singing males (Confirmation or correction please!)
You are right with your last point Alexander, at least in certain countries anyway, we‘ve just returned from Armenia and found Common Redstart in built up areas, one pair were nesting in an air ventilation duct on a city centre bread factory for example. But as Ken points out, it would be unusual habitat for CR in the UK ( and I’ve yet to find them in inner city French habitats too).

As raised by others in this thread, Common Redstarts are relatively frequent in inner city areas in parts of Eastern Europe. I am currently in the downtown area of the capital here in Lithuania, this block has Common Redstart flitting around the building and courtyard, a neighbouring block has Black Redstart.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back