• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Common Redstart or Blackstart please ? (2 Viewers)

MattG

United Kingdom
Merlin comes up with a Black Redstart but to me it's more browner than the greyer female Black Redstart so I think Common Redstart? Help please 🙏 Portugal 11/01/24
1000039184.jpg

Yes, female-type common redstart. Too pale below for black redstart. Or I guess so... 🤔 - common redstart may be uncomfortably rare there in midwinter?? Maybe the flank is too dark for common redstart?
Thanks for your thoughts Butty, much appreciated 🙏

Hello,
I made the same mistake some time ago. And while I agree its a difficult picture as hues are much dependent on camera settings and light, its a Black Redstart imo.
Exact nougat and not caramellbuffish cream hues in the face and underparts are much better for Black Redstart and wrong for Common Redstart. Yummi!

Hello,
I made the same mistake some time ago. And while I agree its a difficult picture as hues are much dependent on camera settings and light, its a Black Redstart imo.
Exact nougat and not caramellbuffish cream hues in the face and underparts are much better for Black Redstart and wrong for Common Redstart. Yummi!
Thanks for your reply đź‘Ť

Hello,
Yes I agree. I think common redstart would show a bit more "pop" to the different colours: would not appear so monochrome. Especially the brighter rufous tail, flanks, and whitish areas around the throat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back