• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Remember when you had to apply well in advance to apply to visit some RSPB reserves. (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Can anyone who has been a member of the RSPB like myself since the early 1970's or earlier and you had to apply well in advance for a permit to visit some of the RSPB reserves which where only open a few days a week and for limited hours and for part of the year only. Members also on some of the reserves had to pay an admission charge which was approxmitaly half the price of non members. Even some of the reserves where you didn't have to apply for a permit where only open as well a few days a week with limited hours as well and again there was often an admission charge for members and non members alike. There where far more of the RSPB reserves with an admission charge then, than there are now.
I remember applying for a permit for Minsmere 6 months in advance and feeling fantastic that I had been successful in applying for a permit. But I also remember back in 1979 applying for a permit for Ynys Hir 6 months in advance for a date on a weekend and been so disappointed that I had been unsuccessful at my application for a permit on that set date, when myself and my Father where on holiday. I then reapplied for 1 of the 2 midweek days that Ynys Hir was open and I was successful with my application. Both Minsmere and Ynys Hir where only open 4 days a week from April-September from 11.00am-5.00pm and no late evenings as there is now and no Winter Openings.
What a change now reserves open 7 days a week. Most reserves opening in the evenings during the Spring and Summer months, visiting unrestricted with no need to apply for permits in advance and reserves as well open all the year round, except Christmas Day and some reserves Boxing Day. In my opinion the RSPB are more welcoming than they where back in the 1970's and earlier and of course a lot of the reserves now also have visitor centres with a Cafe and a shop as well.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back