• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report from Swedish Taxonomic Committee (1 Viewer)

No battle please, but I think that there are decisions that are taken too quickly under the pretext of (monophyly for example), like "à la one again bistoufly".
The cattle egrets were moved to Ardea based mainly on Hruska m.fl. (2023) which shows that Bubulcus is embedded in Ardea based on nucelar DNA, with high support. The analysis of mtDNA also puts it in the same clade as Ardea, but basally with lower support. Genera is a matter of preference and another option would be to split up Ardea into multiple genera instead.

The latest Collins just has superbus for both Tenerife and Gran Canaria but with the main author being a Swedish taxonomist I guess this will be different in the next edition.
I've seen both and they are definitely different, but different enough? I'm not qualified to say for certain.
Always up for an armchair tick though😉

Because it's the better decision

Will be interesting to see which treatment WGAC will adopt. The recent NACC proposal (2024-A) favours a wider Ardea over splitting up into Ardea and Casmerodius:

"For Part 2, I recommend that Bubulcus ibis be transferred to Ardea. As with the Ixobrychus issue above, this is a close call over keeping B. ibis in Bubulcus and splitting Ardea into two genera, but I favor transferring B. ibis for reasons similar to those regarding the bitterns: (1) it is the least disruptive option; (2) it limits the genus transfers to a widespread species (B. ibis) that occurs in the Americas, rather than transferring, in addition to a widespread species (A. alba) that occurs in the Americas, an Old World species (A. intermedia) accidental to our area (the third species of Casmerodius, A. pacifica, is an Old World species not known from our area; and (3) there is ample precedence for placing ibis in genera other than Bubulcus (i.e., not recognizing it as so distinctive as to require its own genus). Also, if relying on phenotype to continue to recognize Bubulcus, there is the question of what phenotypic characters distinguish Casmerodius from Ardea. As with the bitterns, should a global body such as WGAC endorse the transfer of alba, intermedia, and pacifica to Casmerodius, then point 2 above becomes moot and the balance may be tipped towards this alternative. In that case we could re-vote, but for now I recommend the transfer of B. ibis to Ardea."

Will be interesting to see which treatment WGAC will adopt. The recent NACC proposal (2024-A) favours a wider Ardea over splitting up into Ardea and Casmerodius:

"For Part 2, I recommend that Bubulcus ibis be transferred to Ardea. As with the Ixobrychus issue above, this is a close call over keeping B. ibis in Bubulcus and splitting Ardea into two genera, but I favor transferring B. ibis for reasons similar to those regarding the bitterns: (1) it is the least disruptive option; (2) it limits the genus transfers to a widespread species (B. ibis) that occurs in the Americas, rather than transferring, in addition to a widespread species (A. alba) that occurs in the Americas, an Old World species (A. intermedia) accidental to our area (the third species of Casmerodius, A. pacifica, is an Old World species not known from our area; and (3) there is ample precedence for placing ibis in genera other than Bubulcus (i.e., not recognizing it as so distinctive as to require its own genus). Also, if relying on phenotype to continue to recognize Bubulcus, there is the question of what phenotypic characters distinguish Casmerodius from Ardea. As with the bitterns, should a global body such as WGAC endorse the transfer of alba, intermedia, and pacifica to Casmerodius, then point 2 above becomes moot and the balance may be tipped towards this alternative. In that case we could re-vote, but for now I recommend the transfer of B. ibis to Ardea."
Is there a Razzie award of the ornithology ?

Because it's the better decision
As established, it's a matter of preference, but since yours is so strong in this question, what makes you so firmly believe this? In terms of genomic divergence Ardea s.l. is only marginally older than Egretta or Botaurus s.s. and considerably younger than Ixobrychus s.s. (and Botaurus s.l. if transferring exilis and involucris). I'm not arguing that genomics and divergence times are the only things that count, but they are also not insignificant or uninformative.

Cheers!

As established, it's a matter of preference, but since yours is so strong in this question, what makes you so firmly believe this? In terms of genomic divergence Ardea s.l. is only marginally older than Egretta or Botaurus s.s. and considerably younger than Ixobrychus s.s. (and Botaurus s.l. if transferring exilis and involucris). I'm not arguing that genomics and divergence times are the only things that count, but they are also not insignificant or uninformative.

Cheers!
In the best case, in the best possible way, let's avoid heterogeneous genera and even a monophyletic and homogeneous clade is not necessarily monogeneric otherwise many groups would be reduced to a single genus (for example, the Rhynchocyclidae have homogeneous lineages and yet we recognize multiple [unnecessary?] genera). The Botaurus/Ixobrychus example is perfect because we could put this whole group into one genus because paraphyly makes us wonder where the limits of Botaurus and Ixobrychus end, they are very close after all. Sometimes taxonomic simplification is not the best solution

In the best case, in the best possible way, let's avoid heterogeneous genera and even a monophyletic and homogeneous clade is not necessarily monogeneric otherwise many groups would be reduced to a single genus (for example, the Rhynchocyclidae have homogeneous lineages and yet we recognize multiple [unnecessary?] genera). The Botaurus/Ixobrychus example is perfect because we could put this whole group into one genus because paraphyly makes us wonder where the limits of Botaurus and Ixobrychus end, they are very close after all. Sometimes taxonomic simplification is not the best solution
Thanks for explaining your reasoning. I don't agree that a broad Ardea is simplifying matters (other than one genus being fewer than three). As for Botaurus/Ixobrychus, I'd say the most parsimonious solution is moving I. exilis and I. involucris, to Botaurus. After all, incorrect interpretation of evolutionary relationships (and "simple" generic assignment) has been quite common, in some groups more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back