• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for help with Yellow Wagtail seen Bulgaria September 2019 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues
Please may I seek advice on the attached photos of a bird seen some time ago. I thought it might be a thunbergi but am not sure it is regular in that region.
Also would this bird be an adult or a juvenile please?

Attachments

• File 466.jpg
    File 466.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 13
  • File 467.jpg
    File 467.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 13
  • File 468.jpg
    File 468.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 13
  • File 473.jpg
    File 473.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 7
  • File 475.jpg
    File 475.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 9
  • File 477.jpg
    File 477.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 9
  • File 478.jpg
    File 478.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 10
I think this an adult male in post breeding molt. The head pattern is starting to lighten, but lacks any white. I got thunbergi in the one time I visited Bulgaria in springtime and it had a narrow white line from below the cheek to below the lores. I think this might be feldegg, but I would rather hear from someone with far more local experience than I.

should be a local feldegg. thunbergi passes regularly in spring, in autumn it is hardly possible to ID. even in spring many hybrids feldegg x flava are complete lookalikes which makes the identification as thunbergi very hard in south-eastern europe. this looks to be an adult bird and i think a male.

I think this an adult male in post breeding molt. The head pattern is starting to lighten, but lacks any white. I got thunbergi in the one time I visited Bulgaria in springtime and it had a narrow white line from below the cheek to below the lores. I think this might be feldegg, but I would rather hear from someone with far more local experience than I.
I appreciate that input because it leans me toward thinking more likely feldegg than thunbergi :)

should be a local feldegg. thunbergi passes regularly in spring, in autumn it is hardly possible to ID. even in spring many hybrids feldegg x flava are complete lookalikes which makes the identification as thunbergi very hard in south-eastern europe. this looks to be an adult bird and i think a male.
Thank you for that helpful insight. I am going to put it down as a feldegg the evidence is strong in that regard based on your and Andy Hurley input

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back