• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request help id bird seen Sharm el Sheikh, 15 December 2023 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I request assistance in case this unlikely candidate for identification can be assigned to a species.
I managed photo as it flew by (apologies for poor quality and high cropping). The habitiat was desert-like

Attachments

• D3a-0002.JPG
    D3a-0002.JPG
    671.9 KB · Views: 111
Can I ask how it was for birding access at Sharm for you? Were there any restrictions on taking optics through the airport and was there any access possible to the old favourite spots (for birders) to the big sewage pools 3km into the desert just opposite Naama Bay and the small pools further north near the airport?

I had some good birds at those spots in 2010, but times in the region have changed radically since shortly after my visit.

Can I ask how it was for birding access at Sharm for you? Were there any restrictions on taking optics through the airport and was there any access possible to the old favourite spots (for birders) to the big sewage pools 3km into the desert just opposite Naama Bay and the small pools further north near the airport?

I had some good birds at those spots in 2010, but times in the region have changed radically since shortly after my visit.
You are welcome. Access was good in general. I didnt bring a 'scope but there was for the most part, no problem with my camera and binoculars. Twice however, I had my camera checked by police, when they saw me and thought I might be taking pics of their buildings, . They were friendly about it though and it was I guess my fault for pointing it in the wrong direction. There is a police presence nearly everywhere The "small pools" referred to I found to be completely dried out, at least at that time of year, with no birds present. The big sewage pools referred to: well the main treatment installations there now seem to have limited access only. New plant is currently being built there. They have built a just small area for viewing birds with an observation tower that one can access, but that is all. I was not allowed to just wander round. They said it was not safe as it is an active construction site at present.
Just next door to the south east are some other pools and reedbeds. These have unrestricted access. You can just walk/drive in there. That area is great for birds and for raptors. There were literally hundreds of white stork roosting.
In general security in Sharm is tight as they are just getting off the ground again tourism wise following an incident a few years ago. Every hotel it seems, has security at the entrance, so one cannot just walk in and out. I hope this helps. I recommend a trip for birding for anyone. I seem to have about 18 lifers in four days. If you go again you will find lots of brand new high quality roads have sprung up too.

I would go for Tawny Pipit as a starting point. Right on the limit for wintering, but large Pipit jizz. Photo is not really good enough to go any further
Thank you so much. I see there were no spots or streaks on the underside, which would also be good for Tawny. I had not thought of Tawny. The other gentleman was on the right track I think with pipits in mind. I will leave it as unidentified. Many thanks

Hello,

my first gut feeling was Yellow Wagtail or a (larger) Pipit too (and yes, wouldnt the word "bingo" pop up in your mind when seeing a Pipit with an uniform apricot, blend open face with an "standing out"= isolated dark eye among Mipits?

But there seems something wrong for these and then a Wheatear came into my mind. Yes, this bird lacks the short-tailed compact flight jizz of them, and I looked at my books. And there is a larger billed and longer tailed species, that I have yet to see in the wild. A Hooded Wheatear.

No offence you know (do I still have to write this? I think no?) and it might well be a Tawny Pipit. But I hope for a second look and more comments. Thanks!

Hello,

my first gut feeling was Yellow Wagtail or a (larger) Pipit too (and yes, wouldnt the word "bingo" pop up in your mind when seeing a Pipit with an uniform apricot, blend open face with an "standing out"= isolated dark eye among Mipits?

But there seems something wrong for these and then a Wheatear came into my mind. Yes, this bird lacks the short-tailed compact flight jizz of them, and I looked at my books. And there is a larger billed and longer tailed species, that I have yet to see in the wild. A Hooded Wheatear.

No offence you know (do I still have to write this? I think no?) and it might well be a Tawny Pipit. But I hope for a second look and more comments. Thanks!
Thank you so much. It was interesting especially when Wheatear came to mind. I think the long bill would fit Hooded, which seemed to be the commonest species there. I saw several of them. I was also wondering whether there might be a possibility of it being Desert Wheatear please?

Hello,

I have to admit here the bird was pinging all my alarm bells - then as soon as I read that you said 'Hooded Wheatear' - I groaned with a 'yeah, lordy me, Hooded Wheatear'...

And I totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back