• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request id of dove sp. seen on Love birds live web bird feeder cam (Japan) (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

The bird in the photo is one I havent seen on this live cam previously. Please can anyone confirm : I think it is Oriental Turtle Dove but I am not sure. Could it be a juvenile or would it be an adult.
Please can anyone advise as I would be so grateful.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 22
Oriental Turtle dove indeed; short PP (though not quite clear enough to count the primaries), 5 bands on the collar, large dark centres to coverts etc. Probably an adult, but not certain. I think it would be orientalis rather than meena in Japan too.
Thank you for the confirmation and the wonderful details provided. Every time one sees a new bird, whether in the flesh or online, it opens a whole world for satisfying research and enjoyable study. I must try and see the difference between meena and orientalis now!. I already have sighting/photo of Eurasian Turtle Dove :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back