• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring-Necked Duck, Black Phoebe, and ??? (Redding, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

A mix of "I think I know" and "I really don't know" photos.

We were some 200 miles away from our usual spots, so don't want to take for granted what I "know" (and I use that term loosely where bird IDs are concerned!).

1. Ring-Necked Duck?
  2. Ring-Necked Duck?
  3. I have no idea. Please ID the foreground and background ducks.
  4. Also no idea.
  5. Black Phoebe?

THANKS as always!

Attachments

• IDme_RingNeckedDuck1.JPG
    IDme_RingNeckedDuck1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IDme_RingNeckedDuck2.JPG
    IDme_RingNeckedDuck2.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IDme_BWduck.JPG
    IDme_BWduck.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IDme_UnknownDuck.JPG
    IDme_UnknownDuck.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IDme_BlackPhoebe.JPG
    IDme_BlackPhoebe.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 17
1. yep
2. yep
3. Barrow's Goldeneye male, and female Bufflehead
4. female Bufflehead
5. yep

Bufflehead females, rare spot for us, we see only males near home.

Barrow's Goldeneye, that's new for us.

We actually quite enjoyed our time in Redding, the trails are excellent and we got lucky and saw the results of the big release from Shasta Dam. Deep and wide Sacramento River!

THANKS for the IDs!

It is a Barrow's Goldeneye. The long crescent shaped white spot and the dark flanks to the waterline are diagnostic for Barrow's The head shape and bill size look a bit off because it looks like it just surfaced and the head plumage is slicked down by water.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back