• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed bird Jersey, C.I. (1 Viewer)

kris

United Kingdom
Hi,
could anyone please tell me the name of this bird. It was ringed early morning 31/08/2003. I think the guy who did it is a member of this forum.
Thanks in advance
Kris

Possibly Willow Warbler !!!

Attachments

• 09398 - RM.jpg
    09398 - RM.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Blimey Kris

That photo's not a great lot of help.
I can see why you think its a WILWA, but most of the field ID features are hidden.
Was it fully processed and the primaries assessed?
I'm assuming you had a Svennson's to hand when it was captured...

YOU'VE JUST BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE THERE.
I just tagged along to take some pics with the guy who does the ringing.
I wish I could remember his name.

I've found another photo of the same.

Attachments

• 09397 - RM.jpg
    09397 - RM.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sorry Kris, didn't mean to sound like a smartarse.
Svensson's is the ringer's bible for IDing birds in the hand.
If there was any doubt in the ringer's mind or if he had a trainee with him, he'd have studied certain primary feathers.
When was this picture taken, Kris?

Oh, I see!
I thought you had recently retrapped the bird which would have made it quite old if it was originally ringed in 2003 (although the oldest WILWA on record is 10 years and 8 months).
Is it a WILWA...the primary projection looks quite long, so it could be, yes, but it's feet (whilst not black) are on the dark side, if my laptop screen's not letting me down again.

Thanks for that. Was just updating some old photos.
The feet are not really dark. What I would call a french mustard on the outer edge and an English mustard underneath.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back