• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RODE NTG5 vs Sennheiser MKE 600 (1 Viewer)

bird noob

Hey Folks,

Looking to step up my bird recording game with an external a shotgun mic and new recorder. Currently using a Zoom H1n. I know the Sennheiser ME 66/67 have long been regarded as the "budget friendly" standard, but they are discontinued and I don't feel like trying to buy one second hand online. I may be comparing two mics of slightly different tiers, but Sennheiser doesn't have anything in between the MKE 600 and Mkh 416 at this time that I can find. Here are some of the main specs:

RODE NTG5
Sennheiser MKE 600
Price$ 709 CAD (wind screen, pistol grip, ect.) $ 429 CAD (foam screen, hot shoe mount)
Freq range20 hz - 20 khz40 hz - 20 khz
Equivalent Noise1015 DB
Length20.325.6 cm
Weight76 g128 g (no battery)
Internal battery powerNoYes
Low Cut FilterNoYes

What I find appealing about the NTG5 is the slightly wider frequency response, lower noise, lower weight, shorter length (although this may sacrifice some directionality). While it could be nice to have a mic that doesn't need phantom power, I'm not too worried about it, and a low-cut filter could be applied from the recorder. Also, the NTG5 uses a RF condenser which is suppose to make it more resistant to humidity. I couldn't determine if the MKE 600 is RF or DC.

I suppose I am hesitant because I find almost no mention of anyone using an NGT5 for the purpose of recording birds. Maybe this is because it is relatively newer (2019)? As of now, I think I will use it with a TASCAM DR100mkiii (would prefer Sound Devices Premix 3 but I still have to pay rent at the end of the day). Regardless, any set up should be better than my Zoom H1n with built-in mics.

Thoughts?

I would consider a parabolic dish also as an upgrade option. I use a very simple one (AOM 5024L HD as an external mic) made with an umbrella with an olympus LSP1 (around 100-130€) and a home made electret battery box and works pretty well. For the money you are ready to invest you could afford a commercial one.

I am attaching an audio of a tree pipit recorded this morning, it was about 8-10m above me. No edits, gain 5.

Here you have a detail of the mic. The acrilic dish has a diameter of 6cm and it is 12cm away from the base. This system is very light and portable.

Attachments

• tree pipit_olympus LSP1_Gain 5_AOM 5024L HD.mp3
    2 MB
I don't have experience of using either the Rode NTG5 or the MKE600, but I feel like I am missing something when I look at the new Sennheisser line up.

Whereas the sensitivity of a mic is not the be all and end all, the old ME67 had a sensitivity of 50mV/Pa. Even the ME64 cardiod mic had a sensitivity of 34mV/Pa.

I think the current options from Sennhesisser are;
MKE600 - 21mV/Pa - much less sensitive than the old ME67, and even less sensitive than the ME64
MKH416 - 25mV/Pa - ditto above
MKH418 - 25mV/Pa for the main mic - ditto above
MKH8060 - 63mV/Pa - more sensitive than the ME67 - pretty similar to the Rode NTG5
MKH1070 - 112mV/Pa - way more sensitive than the ME67

Obviously a sensitive mic brings its own problems - handling noise, unwanted environmental noise pickup etc. I am however surprised that Sennheisser now don't seem to have a cheap(ish) directional mic with a reasonably sensitive mic capsule.

The Rode NTG5 has a sensitivity of 66mV/Pa (quoted as -23.5 dB re 1V/Pa), so seems to have a higher sensitivity than the ME67.

If you want to upgrade to get better signal strength, you may be disappointed by the MKE600, but if you are upgrading to get a more directional signal and plan to get you mic reasonably close (which may work better in a noisy environment) then it could be OK.

Regards

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back