• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roger Vine Zeiss 10x30 SFL review (4 Viewers)

A new review has been available since Sunday. An interesting read as usual.

Pretty much confirms the top quality that we already know. That such compact models may be less rugged is clear, but no reason to be concerned about for most of us.
I'm a bit puzzled that there is no more specific mention of the exceedingly tight fit of both objective and ocular covers. Personally, I don't use the objective covers, protecting the lenses with my jacket if needed, and putting a soft cloth bag around the binoculars when packing them up. That replaces the somewhat bulky cordura case at the same time. And I have replaced the uncomfortably tight rain cover with a slightly larger one of the FL series. Thus I now have it all optimized for my personal needs.

As for the lens coating, Roger Vine compares it with the latest FL version. Earlier FLs are somewhat more similar to the SFL. That is also obvious when looking through the barrels from the front against a white background. SFL and early FL show a pure white whereas the view through the late FL shows a slight greenish cast (I had posted that earlier: SFL30 comments and experiences post #1)

Hello,

I see that the SFL neck strap has a very subtle logo. One of the things about Nikon neck straps which I dislike is the large gold logo. I find it naff and an invitation for theft. Of course, that is hardly a strong reason to buy the SFL.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I see that the SFL neck strap has a very subtle logo. One of the things about Nikon neck straps which I dislike is the large gold logo. I find it naff and an invitation for theft. Of course, that is hardly a strong reason to buy the SFL.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Simple, go over the logo with a black Sharpie Pen, have done it on all my straps. dulls them down nice.

Nice review.

A couple of inaccuracies:
The metal is not anodized. I believe it is some type of baked enamel/powder coating, but certainly not anodized.
The lens coating is different than late series FLs, more similar to older FLs. I'm surprised he doesn't mention color accuracy, which is certainly better than early and late FLs, as well as SFs.

As far as I'm concerned, Japanese vs German manufacture is equal, and quite frankly I'd be willing to hazard QC/sample variation is better in Japanese optics.

I agree the only thing the SFs have on SFLs is "sparkling bright" views. Given everything else, I'll take the SFLs every time. And I continue to be willing to bet if you coated the SFs with the color accurate SFL coating, the "sparkling bright" would be difference would be nil.

I am finding the objective covers break in and fit well with use.

These are absolute classics!

Nice review. I was fortunate enough to have use of a pair for a few days last week. Sadly I didnt get to test them out as much as I'd hoped, but did get a little time using them to view across water and reedbeds, the sea, over sand dunes, along hedgerows and of course from the garden. I have some 10x32Sfs which are a great bino but I do get issues with blackouts. Why would I look at the 10x30s you might ask? Whilst the SFs are nice and light and have a great view, they are larger than I feel comfortable with using when just out walking the dog or for more casual use, or maybe I just like new toys!

I was very impressed with the SFLs, good bright image and a wide field of view. Focus was pretty nice and smooth and my glasses sat nicely on the eyepieces and got a full field of view. I did once own some 8x32FLs and have often regretted selling them and although the eye-relief was a bit tight for me and my glasses, the image was incredibly sharp, and I did think these 10x30SFLs didnt strike me as quite that "sharp". Maybe that was just down to the 10x versus 8x difference. I have fairly small hands so they sat perfectly in my grip, no issues with blackouts and although there was a bit of CA at times it wasnt that noticeable. Maybe it is just me but I find that with glasses its hard to avoid a bit of CA. The other pleasing thing I found was that I got a very good clear image, not always found this to be the case - something to do with the combination of spectacle glass and the binocular optics? i.e. the view without glasses has been clear but goes a little hazy when through glasses.

One thing i did observe was that the diopter did have a habit of slipping ever so slightly, maybe I shouldn't have rammed them up to my glasses so hard.

Not that impressed with the objective covers, but that said I would usually only use them when storing the binoculars away and not in "field" use.

All in all I am definitely considering getting a pair. I have been finding pocket binoculars not as useful to me as I'd hoped, and the sub £1k 32mm offerings too bulky/heavy, but these have the size and weight that fits my need and optically great. Just have to think what to do with the SFs if I do.

One thing i did observe was that the diopter did have a habit of slipping ever so slightly, maybe I shouldn't have rammed them up to my glasses so hard.

Can you explain your reasoning? My 8x40's have the diopter ring between eyecup and bino. Don't think there's a way pressure on eyecup could affect diopter. Just curious...

Tightening the eyecup can move the diopter.
Huh... I'm sitting here fiddling with my 8x40's and the eyecups 'seat' with a nice 'click', w/out any perceptible effect at all on diopter ring. Are the 30's different I wonder, or is it manufacturing variations,...? I'm also curious if people change their eyecup setting from extended to fully screwed-in for some reason (storage?)? I set mine once and done :p

I'll admit I'm skeptical this is a real 'issue' but I ask sincerely - and am willing to believe evidence to the contrary - because even tho I currently own the 40's, I'm potentially interested in the 30's. If there's something different (other than objective dia) about them, I'd like to know!

Great review! Thanks 😀
Is SFL in the ”Victory line”? Or maybee in a new line with no name, somewhere between Victory and Conquest. And I hope Zeiss will go for a SFL Pocket with 20 mm (that really fits your pocket).

On the diopter issue. All I can say is that it was at 0 and sometime later when I looked it wasnt anymore and I hadnt adjusted it! Now this was just a small movement away from 0 as I recollect. Could this just have been a quirk of the pair I was testing? I dont know.

Huh... I'm sitting here fiddling with my 8x40's and the eyecups 'seat' with a nice 'click', w/out any perceptible effect at all on diopter ring. Are the 30's different I wonder, or is it manufacturing variations,...? I'm also curious if people change their eyecup setting from extended to fully screwed-in for some reason (storage?)? I set mine once and done :p

I'll admit I'm skeptical this is a real 'issue' but I ask sincerely - and am willing to believe evidence to the contrary - because even tho I currently own the 40's, I'm potentially interested in the 30's. If there's something different (other than objective dia) about them, I'd like to know!
I use an o-ring on my 8x40s. Sounds like it doesn't happen without the o-ring.

I was worried about blackouts with the SFL 10x30 until I read in Roger’s review that they are better than the SF 10x32 in that regard.

Now I finally have my 10x30, I’m very happy. Early days, but they seem to offer excellent compact optics without any of the blackout issues that ruined the MHG 30s for me.

I finally got round to trying both x30 SFL's today and...shock horror...found I bonded with the 10x30's immediately, a really super little glass in every way. Stunning optics and they fitted me perfectly, so I was able to relax with them immediately. I loved them!

The 8x30's, on the other hand, were quite the opposite, I couldn't relax with them at all. Spent a long time experimenting and searching for the optimal set up, but failed miserably. The beans, the beans, it was all about the beans...🫘

exceedingly tight fit of both objective and ocular covers.

Interesting. I have the SFL 8x30 and haven't particularly noticed this, whereas the exceedingly tight ocular/rain cover on my NL 10x42 is enough that I still curse it. I will pay more attention to my SFL. I wonder if there are different batches / varying tolerances in the production?

Interesting. I have the SFL 8x30 and haven't particularly noticed this, whereas the exceedingly tight ocular/rain cover on my NL 10x42 is enough that I still curse it. I will pay more attention to my SFL. I wonder if there are different batches / varying tolerances in the production?
Frankly I doubt it's sample variation. Eye-socket and eye-ball variation, definitely.

I was a little annoyed by 8x30 at first but then just learned 'how to hold them' (against my particular face) and to pay attention to IPD. I just returned from 2 weeks travelling and birding western US, and those were the only bins I took. I was glad for their size and weight as I humped my gear in airport(s) and on daily trail hikes (2-6mi, at least once and often 2-3x a day). The views were excellent and I quit thinking about the 'gear' - which is always a good sign!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back