• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rondeau Provincial Park (1 Viewer)

firecrest9

Rondeau Provincial Park

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could anyone tell me if there is any Motels/Hotels or a self catering cottage near Rondeau Provincial Park? I am going in early May 2014

Tony

Tony,

I'd recommend the Silver Motel, just outside Blenheim, Ontario. It's on the Talbot Trail, (a.k.a. Old Hwy. #3) just south of town, and only a few minutes' drive (provided there are no distractions along the way) from the park gates. It's very basic, but serviceable, and is the closest thing we could get to the park bar actually camping in the park (which we have done as well.) Another advantage of this place is its proximity to the Blenheim sewage plants, excellent wader habitat - note that advance permission must be obtain before visiting these (but it can be done - the municipality has good relations with birders, or at least had, last time I heard anything).

Now, I suppose I should warn you that all my info.* is more than 10 years old, so take it with a grain of salt. Perhaps the motel has gone to seed, or perhaps some other places have opened since the last time we stayed down there.

Good luck,

Peter

*I've often wondered - BFers tend to use the word 'gen'. Anybody able to tell me the origin of this word? I've never encountered it, on this side of the pond.

*I've often wondered - BFers tend to use the word 'gen'. Anybody able to tell me the origin of this word? I've never encountered it, on this side of the pond.

I think it's an old military term which is just an abbreviation for intelligence (in the sense of information, not IQ).

Can't help with the accommodation, on my visit this may just drove from leamington(1 and a half hours or thereabouts), but to visit Blenheim sewage lagoons, you just have to send an email for a free permit. A quick google search will get you the correct contact. Really wish I had spent more than just the 1 day here, an excellent area! Have a great trip!

Thanks

Peter
I looked into the motel and it is still going and does not look too bad. Looks like I will book there.

Another question for you guys. The place I used at Long Point to stay has now been sold, so I am now looking for some where else to stay in the area for a week, any ideas?

I stayed at the seasons house b&b in port rowan for long point, location, hosts, rooms and breakfast all excellent!

I think it's an old military term which is just an abbreviation for intelligence (in the sense of information, not IQ).
Ah, thanks - what the Yanks call 'intel' (at least, in the movies and on TV).

Peter
I looked into the motel and it is still going and does not look too bad. Looks like I will book there.

Another question for you guys. The place I used at Long Point to stay has now been sold, so I am now looking for some where else to stay in the area for a week, any ideas?

I've used At Play Adventures, which runs a kind of motel, as well as the old cottages (but highly renovated), there at the end of the Causeway. Very pricey, unfortunately, but not a lot of options that are close to the park (unless you want to rent an entire cottage, of which there are plenty on the point itself).

Peter

[...]
Don´t know why you mention this term in the thread, Peter? Couldn´t find it within the comments. :-C

Re: the etymology of 'gen':

It has come up a lot before, you see.

'Gen' seems to be the preferred term for what I would call 'information' in "British"; an odd, foreign tongue that I often struggle with, but have learned a bit of, over the years (mostly by watching old Monty Python re-runs). I briefly considered "going native" back there in post #2, but decided against it, and reverted to the language of my home and native land (a language we like to call "English"*). However, in the process of doing so, my natural linguistic curiousity about the quaint customs of those remote islands was aroused, and I asked for clarification on this term.

Hope that clears up this up for you.

Peter C.

*This is not to be confused with that staple of certain (mostly American-made) television shows and films - "Canadian English." As these are mostly terribly low-buget and truly God-awful, it is unlikely you will have come across this dialect in this way, even if you do enjoy American films and TV. However, to speak 'Canadian English', just take an 'English' sentence, and append "...eh?" to the end. Don't forget the punctuation, it is essential!

Apparently, this is hilarious; at least, Hollywood seems to think it is hilarious. But I think they must audition and train actors especially to take these roles; I have lived in Canada all my life, and have come across approximately two native "Canadian English" speakers in that time.

Does anyone know of any good sites around Rondeau Provincial Park to birdwatch? I would like to see Boblink, Meadow Lark and Dickcissel?

I saw several bobolinks at Blenheim sewage lagoons, which is very near to rondeau. Think dickcissel is a later migrant, but the Wheatley area has had them last couple of years(from ebird) in june. The range maps on ebird should get you detailed sites for any species, and the hotspot map will help you find sites in the area. The only other site I visited around there was McGeachy pond, which I had read could be good, but was totally bird less on my visit!

These grassland birds have suffered greatly from habitat loss.
Bobolink are common at the nearby Blenheim Sewage Lagoons, which require a permit you can get from the Rondeau Visitor Centre.
Dickcissel are not really in range here and probably cannot be expected, but they have been somewhat reliable in the past few years near wheatley, albeit not until June.
Meadowlark are declining, and earlier migrants, I was in Rondeau for most of May this year and only had one individual on May 3rd, and never saw any others nearby.

What is the weather at Rondeau Provincial Park this now? Has it warmed up yet?
Will be there on the 1st of May/ Do I need to take suncream, shorts and T-shirts? :}

What is the weather at Rondeau Provincial Park this now? Has it warmed up yet?
Will be there on the 1st of May/ Do I need to take suncream, shorts and T-shirts? :}

Ummmmm.... probably not.

Raining lightly in S. Ontario at the moment, it was freezing to the windscreen of my car as I left for work this morning; mind you, that was about 0700, and it is supposed to warm up to +11 by tonight...

A months' time will, of course, make some difference, but we've had a much colder than average winter this year. You may expect the effects to linger into May, with the possibility of sub-zero overnight lows at any time. If there's enough sun to get a burn, consider yourself very lucky!...

I'll be camping on the long weekend (May 16-19) at LP, going to have to bring plenty of blankets!

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back