• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russet/Ruddy-capped Nightingale Thrush Mexico (1 Viewer)

Arbu

These two birds are almost indistinguishable aren't they? I'm using the Merlin app which says "On Russet, note pale pinkish underside of bill with dark tip and faintly mottled or streaked pattern to breast." Well, the third picture of Russet on Merlin shows a bird with a uniformly grey breast, like a Ruddy-capped, with no mottling or streaking. So that leaves the underside of the bill to distinguish them by. The first picture of Russet on Merlin shows a bird with a paler breast, but a yellow, not pinkish, underside of the bill, like the pictures of Ruddy-capped. So the bill colour doesn't work either. The songs sound the same. So maybe the distinguishing feature is a paler breast on the Russet, and the third picture of Russet on Merlin is actually of a Ruddy-capped?

Anyway, here's my picture of one at Malinche a couple of weeks ago. From the dark grey breast I'd guess it's a Ruddy-capped. Anyone think it's possible to tell?

Nightingale Thrush.jpg

These photos look like they are underexposed. Have your tried lightening them up? If so, could you post the result of that as well?

Secondly, where is Malinche? a google search does not bring up a location. Include state within Mexico when using place names, please.

Niels

These photos look like they are underexposed. Have your tried lightening them up? If so, could you post the result of that as well?

Secondly, where is Malinche? a google search does not bring up a location. Include state within Mexico when using place names, please.

Niels
Nightingale Thrush 3.jpg

Sorry, it's in the south of Tlaxcala state, was at about 3200m altitude.

I am not able to distinguish for sure on the images. A couple of pointers:
Orange billed: both lower and upper mandible orangey
Ruddy-C: lower mandible same color to tip - prefers drier and denser understory
Russet: lower mandible with dusky tip. - prefers more open understory and is therefore easier to see.

Info from Howell and Webb (hint, hint ... :cool: )
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back