• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russian bears (1 Viewer)

lutz6lucker

Just to tell you that these photos were shot with a Canon EOS camera (80-300m) and a Leitz Trinovid 8x32 digibinned by Nikon Coolpix885, half a mile from the Russian border in Eastern Finland.
These are 2 two-year-old cubs gobbling fish offal.
Cheers from Geneva

Attachments

• ourspoiss1787#002.jpg
    ourspoiss1787#002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 349
Dredged this thread up (in fact it was being viewed by a guest!).

Great photo LutzL - hope you're still around to post more.

Anyway, it reminded me.

Did anyone else watch the Natural History Series "Realms of the Russian Bear", presented by Russia's answer to David Attenborough - Nikolai Drozhdov (if I've remembered the spelling at this remove).

I think it was out in the mid '90s.

I made the eminently sensible decision to buy it when it came out on video.

Brilliant!

I remember seeing it and I think it may be occasionally getting a rerun on one of the many Discovery channels here in the US, but don't quote me on that. :)

Neil

Haven't seen the series but would like to. What''s the story on Russian Bears Birdman?

Lutzl: Are these youngsters being fed?? They seem distracted from their feeding? What type of bear are they?

Hi Eve,
They are Brown Bears(Grizzly Bear is the N.American subspecies of Brown Bear).
Birdman:remember that series,a good few birds featured as well.Had no VCR when it was on,however.
Harry H

Hi Harry, thanks for replying.

So they are Ursus arctos rather than Ursus americanus or another sub species like the Kodiak bears.

We have 'black bears' which are cinnamon coloured as well (americanus). So the colouring wasn't distinctive enough to to id them and I was looking for the familiar 'hump' on the shoulders. Do these fellas get as large as the Grizzly/Northern brown bear?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back