• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell valley birders (1 Viewer)

susan webster

I was at rspb Sandwell Valley near Birmingham on Saturday morning and saw 23 species of birds from the visitor centre as it was raining. Suddenly I felt something on my leg and looking down I saw a baby Chaffinch on my leg.
He was there few mins before he flew up to the TV where he was caught. I then had the thrill of actually releasing him what a thrill and great hour.

I was at rspb Sandwell Valley near Birmingham on Saturday morning and saw 23 species of birds from the visitor centre as it was raining. Suddenly I felt something on my leg and looking down I saw a baby Chaffinch on my leg.
He was there few mins before he flew up to the TV where he was caught. I then had the thrill of actually releasing him what a thrill and great hour.

I can remember the “thrill” of release!
Many years ago (my early ‘30’s) in a hotel dining room on Minorca.

We were sitting around the table, listening to a fast moving low outside, with the local Swallows trying to seek refuge on the hotel balcony, perchance the wind blew the balcony doors open…and with it came a Swallow!

Whereupon the waiter a tall lean “Manuel” type, promptly grabbed the bird and placed it in a small cutlery/plate cupboard, before carrying on with his duties in the dining hall.

I had absolutely no idea what his intentions were, but suffice to say…that if it were to be a “bonus” sandwich filler….he would be severely disappointed!

I duly leapt up opened the service door, cradled the said “Swallow” strode to the balcony then opening my hands, and feeling it’s “release” skywards into a swirling mass of hirundines…that was one “helluva feeling”.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back