• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saw my first Swallow today (1 Viewer)

It swooped over 2 fishing lakes i was struggling to catch in at Minster, Kent. It had a bit of a dip in the middle and flew round 12 - 15 times and was gone. Lets hope it finds its mates. On my way out of the complex, saw a pair of partridges too. Mick

Hi Mick still waiting to see mine but by the time i do every body else on the mainland will have had them. The winds here have been from the west for ages and not mutch use for bringing up the migrants

Great to see your first of the year isn't it? I had my first of the year last Tuesday at Wigan Flashes. I was absolutely filled with joy!

So many Willow Warblers here on the Somerset Levels today, what with them and Chiffchaffs the songs of each really filled the air. 1000s of WWs seen at Portland yesterday

Also 1 Swallow preening itself on a power line in a nearby village as well as 1 House Martin seen flying, then entering, what appeared from the car, to be a last year's nest.

Sue.

Got mine yesterday! My MP3 player paused, and I heard a bird singing. I looked up, and on the telegraph wires, I saw a gorgeous little male!

I saw another 5 today while fishimg Stonar lake, which is about 1/2 mile away from Sandwich bay. 3 at once and a couple of loners, the 3 were all singing to one another as they dissapeared over pfizers. But none stuck around, just flew on by. Mick

My first swallows of the year today in Embsay N Yorkshire.

One on a telephone wire, another came and gave it something to eat and they flew away together.

:)

Hi there Mick i managed my first ones while down the shore on friday afternoon. Fair chuffed i was.

Its quite funny, years ago, id watch them flying about with no interest as to where they come from, now i imagine them having only just flown the channel, gasping for a drink i should think too. Mick

I had my first two chasing each other as I drove up the A1 from Morpeth to Alnwick on Thursday 12th :t: Four days earlier than 2006 too.

Great to see them back - summer is on it's way :loveme: Though considering that it's 32 degrees outside right now I think it's already arrived!!! ;)

Saw a couple of House Martins in the fields close to me here in East Sussex Wednesday 11th ............. Went out and about today enjoying the fantastic weather....(got up to 26 deg C ! ) cycling the local lanes amonst the recently muck spread fields the air was thick with insects .....all that was missing were Swallows and House Martins....there would have been plenty of food for them ! Sitting in the Pub garden enjoying a deserved Pint of " Olde Trip " B :) in the quiet village of Isfield it felt more like June or July.........mind you we would have had the Swifts screaming overhead then ( I always think that Swifts ARE the sound of summer )

Quite a few in the mist of Norfolk at the weekend, also Willow Warbler, loads of AChiffchaff, blackcap. Superb yellowhammer on Salthouse heath.

had my first swallow on 27th march at uphill in somerset. an impressive flock of 1,000 with 200 sand martin roosted at weston sewage works, somerset this evening in the reed beds. They were reeling backwards and forwards like a flock of dunlin until about 8:45 when finally settled.
Paul
http://www.birdlist.co.uk

pabs said:
had my first swallow on 27th march at uphill in somerset. an impressive flock of 1,000 with 200 sand martin roosted at weston sewage works, somerset this evening in the reed beds. They were reeling backwards and forwards like a flock of dunlin until about 8:45 when finally settled.
Paul
http://www.birdlist.co.uk

You saw afair few there paul, 3 together is the most iv seen so far this year. I liked the chattering between them, Hundreds must have sounded good. Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back