• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope (1 Viewer)

I am not affiliated with the seller, but this came to my attention - not seen everyday.

I recognize the eyepiece (Svbony "redline" 20mm / Orion Expanse clone) and the diagonal (generic 45 degree diagonal, also available from Svbony). I don't know where the focuser is from, maybe a salvage from another telescope. The 80mm f4 objective probably came from a large binocular and is unlikely to be apochromatic or even use ED glass, so any potential buyer should be prepared for significant chromatic aberration in high-contrast situations.

Kudos to the seller for creativity and craftsmanship, though!

F4 apo…. Virtually unheard of, normally come in >f6 as colour and field curvature get worse for faster optics. The focusser ought to be a dual speed crayford design to give the precision needed (especially at higher powers) for such a fast scope. 80mm 16x is wide, but it’s barely beyond binocular reach. I want >30x and sometimes plenty more, which require high quality lenses to deliver. With decent wide eyepieces and a good front optic it’s easily achievable. The one thing that dedicated spotters win at is light weight construction (plastic) and sealed bodies. Metal tube astro scopes lose on both fronts, even though they can often win in performance.

Peter

F4 apo…. Virtually unheard of, normally come in >f6 as colour and field curvature get worse for faster optics. The focusser ought to be a dual speed crayford design to give the precision needed (especially at higher powers) for such a fast scope. 80mm 16x is wide, but it’s barely beyond binocular reach. I want >30x and sometimes plenty more, which require high quality lenses to deliver. With decent wide eyepieces and a good front optic it’s easily achievable. The one thing that dedicated spotters win at is light weight construction (plastic) and sealed bodies. Metal tube astro scopes lose on both fronts, even though they can often win in performance.

Peter
I bought one and the guy knows what he is doing. It seems that he is able to stay just outside the danger zone of F4. Don't know how he did it to squeeze a 1.25" focuser that doesn't stop the lens. The wide field and the weight, (large coffee) gets the wow for me. I took a chance with the 30 day return and bought a winner. Birdbrain14

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum. We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Great to hear, the description says achromatic, so you’d expect chromatic aberrations, more so at higher powers. I tend to run my 80mm refractor around 35x when it’s doing daytime duty, good for most conditions. You could probably try a shorter focal length eyepiece (UFF model or similar) to test higher powers. For ultrawide you could look to use if if the low cost 82degree field of view eyepieces, though some can exhibit distortions that show up when panning.

Peter

Great to hear, the description says achromatic, so you’d expect chromatic aberrations, more so at higher powers. I tend to run my 80mm refractor around 35x when it’s doing daytime duty, good for most conditions. You could probably try a shorter focal length eyepiece (UFF model or similar) to test higher powers. For ultrawide you could look to use if if the low cost 82degree field of view eyepieces, though some can exhibit distortions that show up when panning.

Peter
The scope I bought came with a 20mm Ultra Wide eyepiece and an extra eyecup for non eyeglassers like me. I am not affiliated but I have to say the Corangulator that I bought is unlike any scope I have ever seen. I normally use a 10x50 but decide to try a spotter. I am disappointed In what I am seeing with other scopes. 20X is the lowest power, fancy meaningless specs about the lens but cheap eyepiece. Instead, 16X @ wide field with no tripod like my bino is whoa. I took the 30 day challenge with a fellow Californian and struck gold. The best is watching common vultures riding the thermals up close and personal. Bird Brain14

Peter
All these experts R telling me how this scope I bought is so wrong. I know little about dual speed whatever and F6 fields. What I see is someone going beyond the nay sayer's and doubters to forge something new. Otherwise, we would still be reading newspapers instead of this forum. For me, I like to taste my food before I decide if I like it. Delicious, I got to see a Red tail on a stoop and kill by being in the right place with the right tool. I found his website: Field View Optics. I get the impression he knows a lot more than optics from looking at how he built it. The 10x 50 Bino is retired to the garage because of free shipping and 30 day returns. Cudo's for American ingenuity! My suggestion to him is paint it green. Birdbrain14

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum. We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
Thank U, this is new trail 4 me since Covid took me from the field for awhile. I am finding 2 groups. The birders that share experiences and knowledge. The other, prima donna know it all spotters that talk scopes and compare products. That's fine if they have used or own the product. Criticizing something because it's different without trying or using is inappropriate. I bird with a 10x 50 Bino and stargaze, so I can talk a little shop with them. What ruffles my feathers is these people talking about the Corangulator that I bought. According 2 them it's made from used parts and will never work. Mine works great, better than the super expensive, heavy weights that they brag about. They should be stopped from doing this. They R discouraging other birders like me from getting their hands on something that really works and restricting business for the company. After difficulty finding his site http:// fieldviewoptics.com I'm impressed and buy. Please tell they critics they should buy before they fry. Good birding Birdbrain14

I am naturally somewhat cautious about online stuff that’s away from the “normal”, but always encourage people to try stuff out and report back. Some things turn out bad and other times real gems are unearthed, or ways of doing things that break with the “established ideas”. It certainly sounds from the positive reviews here that whatever it might look like this scope fulfils the claims and can be a useful birding tool. The best scope is one that is always with you and convenient to use….

Peter

Nothing wrong with cautious, I am too. However, I don't down talk something without even looking or trying first. I joined this forum to meet birders and a stargazer or 2 not to brag about my telescope collection. It seems 2 me if U would have looked and read the specs, an F4.2 lens didn't come from an old used spotter that I know of. F4.5 and up is normal. There is enough "Fake News" out here. My Corangulater is the best. Don't try and ruin it for others like me. Good birding Birdbrain14

Nothing wrong with cautious, I am too. However, I don't down talk something without even looking or trying first. I joined this forum to meet birders and a stargazer or 2 not to brag about my telescope collection. It seems 2 me if U would have looked and read the specs, an F4.2 lens didn't come from an old used spotter that I know of. F4.5 and up is normal. There is enough "Fake News" out here. My Corangulater is the best. Don't try and ruin it for others like me. Good birding Birdbrain14
Hello. I'm looking for a scope. Can you define "the best" please? How does it compare to other similarly priced scopes? Or do you mean that your copy of the scope is the best copy?

How does it compare with more expensive? And alpha scopes?

Thank you in advance

I'm sympathetic to one man garage start-ups like this, but in this case high hopes and reality are on a collision course. My unsolicited advice to the inventor/owner would be to go easy on the fantastical claims and avoid throwing good money after bad.

Why don't you do a comparison sir. I took the 30 day $300 challenge. Fishing and birding with my 10x50 Bino for years and stargazing. Go anywhere, see anything, wherever the action is. Lightweight, portable, low power and wide field. I have that now in 80mm. The Kowa 883 weighs 4 lbs. needs another 4 lbs or more for a tripod because of 25X to 60X. The $2500 Luepold is about the same at 6 pounds. I'm free to go where the action is with my 2 pounder 16X and 68º field. If I want to reach out I put on a Bresser 10mm. Prop my arms on something and jump to 33X @ 70º Apparent field of view that curls my toes. To each his own sir. I'm going to put one on my 10" F5 Dobson as a guider. Birdbrain14

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back