• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scratched Ocular Lenses on the 12X42 NL Pure (1 Viewer)

SuperDuty

United States
Has anyone wearing glasses and using the eyecups turned all the way back actually scratched the ocular lenses on your 12X42 NL pure ?

Here some discussion. It seems that there is this risk of scratching with some pairs of glasses in the NL series

Reading that is why I’m doing a follow up question, to see if anything actually materialized after all the stew about it.

I have not heard about that, I thought it's impossible to scratch the ocular lens with the eyeglasses because the eye lens of eyepiece is concave. I read about some having problem with getting the eyeglasses scratched by the metal rim around the eyepiece lens, though.

IMG_7218.pngIMG_7219.pngIMG_7220.pngI have not heard about that, I thought it's impossible to scratch the ocular lens with the eyeglasses because the eye lens of eyepiece is concave. I read about some having problem with getting the eyeglasses scratched by the metal rim around the eyepiece lens, though.

Reading that is why I’m doing a follow up question, to see if anything actually materialized after all the stew about it.
Hello,

Actually, it doesn't matter whether they scratch the eyepiece or the eye glasses!
I'm definitely getting to the metal with my glasses, if you notice it you have to find a solution and don't keep trying until everything is scratched, I think it's just logical.
Eyeglass lenses can also be very expensive.

Andreas

Here is a drawing of how I mean. May not really be in proportion, though. As I see it the eyeglasses lens touches the rim before it can touch the lens. And a convex lens should hardly be able to touch a concave anyway, when the convex lens is larger than the concave lens.

20230926_180350.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on the curves, i.e. radius of curvature.

These curves can be measured with a spherometer.

If metal spacers are involved then this is more complicated, as the metal spacers can cause scratches.

I suppose rubber inserts could be used if the eye relief allows this.

I have seen a Zeiss Dialyt destroyed by scratches on the oculars, but this was from cleaning with grit.

Another Dialyt sold to me as new, clearly wasn't, as it had fine scratches on the oculars.
There are dishonest sellers around.

Regards,
B.

I’m curious to hear if owners are actually getting scratches on the ocular lenses from glass to glass contact.

I have had NL Pure 8x42 and have hard to see it has happened. At least it would require very small eyeglass lens which is very domed.
What is more trustworthy is that eyeglass lens has been scratched by the rim around the ocular lens.

Last edited:
What is more trustworthy is that eyeglass lens has been scratched by the rim around the ocular lens.
I would just assume that any reasonably intelligent person would do something if they recognized the problem, it's a nasty noise, glass on metal.
There probably won't be that many reports about it.

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back