• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screen Mirroring to a tablet (1 Viewer)

Pat Little

United States
I want to be able to mirror my phone's screen, when using it for digiscoping, to a tablet that can be passed around a group of people. This would be very useful for outdoor education, birding field trips, etc.

My initial research suggests that iOS devices (AirPlay) can't "talk to each other" like this, and reviews of some apps that claim to enable screen mirroring to another iOS device showed they were not very robust.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to achieve this? Preferably with an iPhone on the scope, but open to other approaches.

Not sure if AirPlay can stream to other (multiple) devices but if not, will you have wifi/internet avail? This may sound convoluted, but you could broadcast a FB live video that other devices could then 'watch'.

Not sure if AirPlay can stream to other (multiple) devices but if not, will you have wifi/internet avail? This may sound convoluted, but you could broadcast a FB live video that other devices could then 'watch'.
Thanks for the suggestion, MiddleRiver. Out in the field the only wifi would be if I set up a hotspot on my phone (assuming cell coverage, which might or might not be the case) and connected the tablet to that network. From what I've read that ends up using a lot of cellular data because for some reason the video stream going from phone to tablet also gets sent (?) on the cellular network. It sounds odd, and I haven't done an experiment to see if that is the case. Has anyone else come across this difficulty?

If this does work, what app would be needed to do the mirroring?

Hi Pat and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It sounds to be a very interesting project this; I hope you manage to get it worked out OK. Please let us know if you have any success.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the suggestion, MiddleRiver. Out in the field the only wifi would be if I set up a hotspot on my phone (assuming cell coverage, which might or might not be the case) and connected the tablet to that network. From what I've read that ends up using a lot of cellular data because for some reason the video stream going from phone to tablet also gets sent (?) on the cellular network. It sounds odd, and I haven't done an experiment to see if that is the case. Has anyone else come across this difficulty?

If this does work, what app would be needed to do the mirroring?
If you stream to a FB account, other facebook users can simply log in on their accounts. Of course not everyone has one... so less than ideal.

I don't know if you are restricted to iOS but it is easily done with Android devices. You do need a WiFi network but that doesn't have to be connected to the Internet. They are some brand specific systems and some universal apps.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back