• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screw up eyecups (1 Viewer)

Hotglove

Might seem an odd question, but method in my madness, trust me, how many people use their bins with the eyecups fully, or almost fully, extended?
Asking both from your own preference and from your observations of others.
Thanks

It depends on the binocular and the eye relief.
Also the observers facial features and eye prescription and if glasses are worn or not.

In many cases modern binoculars are useless to me as the fully extended position is too short and the binocular hovers unsupported in front of me.

For instance, Swarovski and Leica 10x25 and many others.

Regards,
B.

I don’t wear spectacles when observing with binos.
The only binocular that I use with the eyecups fully extended is the Conquest HD 8x42.
I use a few with the eyecups fully screwed in (e.g. Visionking 5x25).
On all others, the eyecups are partially extended.

It can differ a lot between binocular models. A common problem is that the eyecups are not possible to extend enough when not using eyeglasses. This is sometimes wrongly described as being too long eye relief.
In other cases the eyecups are too long so you don't see the entire field with the eyecup fully extended.
A guess is that the manufacturers sometimes use the same eyecup for different magnifications within a series. The problem with this is that the eye relief differs between 7, 8 and 10x or 32 vs 42mm options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back