• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sculthorpe Moor (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
My sister has booked a holiday cottage at Sculthorpe for the first week in May and I'm thinking of joining her.

I see there's a nature reserve there which is supposed to have Hobbies in the summer... would I be too early to see them?

Is the reserve any good generally?

I've only been to Norfolk once and that was years ago (around the time Sammy disappeared, so I never saw him!)

Delia
Its an excellent reserve. Good hides and in autumn there was plenty of kingfisher activity. Excellent for marsh harriers and many passerines. Not sure on the hobby question, sure someone can jump in. I've spent many hours there, it has best boardwalk system and will have a new elevated hide in operation by spring I think.

Phil

Hi Delia,

The reserve is a cracker - I warden there once a month and May should see it at its finest. Hopefully the new tree top hide will be open by then though that depends on the insurance companies giving the go-ahead.

While hobbies do turn up there, they are far from guaranteed. However, if you are staying in the area, a quick trip down to Lakenheath RSPB (45 minutes from Sculthorpe) can produce 50+ in the air at once, with breeding bitterns, cranes, bearded tits, garganeys and possibly golden orioles to look out for too. Plus stone curlews at Weeting Heath Norfolk wildlife trust just round the corner.

At Sculthorpe, you can expect to see approx. 50 species in half a day including marsh harriers (plus superb nest camera), warblers, nuthatch, marsh tit (plus chance of willow tit), raptors, including chance of red kite and goshawk, bullfinch, outside chance of lesser spotted woodpecker, good range of mammals, butterflies, drags, plants, fungi etc

HTH

Gordon

Thanks so much Phil and Gordon. It looks like I'll be joining her.

Hobby is high on my wish list as I've never seen one. As is Stone Curlew, actually, I was too late in the year on my last visit there. Golden Oriole... mmmm... I've only seen a female and not in the UK.

I was jut worried that the first week of May might be too early for these.

My sister has booked a holiday cottage at Sculthorpe for the first week in May and I'm thinking of joining her.

I see there's a nature reserve there which is supposed to have Hobbies in the summer... would I be too early to see them?

Is the reserve any good generally?

I've only been to Norfolk once and that was years ago (around the time Sammy disappeared, so I never saw him!)

I agree with the two replies you've had Delia. It's one of our favourite Norfolk reserves now, after being introduced to it by Gordon a couple of years ago. I love the ease of access to the whole site and the fact there are feeders at many points through the woodland. Full facilities there too.
We hope to be there again at some point this year.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra.

Just had a thought... will Bitterns still be 'booming'? While I've seen quite a few of these skulkers, I've never heard them - I've even been to Leighton Moss, at what I thought would be the right time!!

I think the first week in May is a tad early for the resident hobbies in Norfolk , but there is always a good chance for passage birds. I recon its usualy the 2nd or 3rd week before the residents become established. They are pretty regular feeding over almost any of the larger waters down the Wensum valley at this time.

I think the first week in May is a tad early for the resident hobbies in Norfolk , but there is always a good chance for passage birds. I recon its usualy the 2nd or 3rd week before the residents become established. They are pretty regular feeding over almost any of the larger waters down the Wensum valley at this time.

Agree about resident birds, but those at Lakenheath aren't all residents. They gather there from the end of April and feed up before dispersing.

Might be a tad early for the Orioles though - if they come back at all.

Walk down to the main viewpoint and watch for an hour or so. You should get cranes, bitterns (including booming birds), beardies, harriers and hobbies from there. Have also had the likes of red-footed falcon, golden oriole, cuckoo, barn owl, kingfisher, cetti's warbler (seen not just heard) from there too.

Gordon

Thanks so much Gordon. It seems I must persuade my sister to put Lakenheath on our visit list.

BTW... Cetti's do not exist!!!!

Cettis

Hi Delia!
On a sunny Spring morning before all the leaves are open, Cetti's are really easy to see at Strumpshaw: they're everywhere!
Enjoy your visit to God's Earth!

Last edited:
Thanks so much Gordon. It seems I must persuade my sister to put Lakenheath on our visit list.

BTW... Cetti's do not exist!!!!

Hi Delia

Sculthorpe is fabulous. We enjoyed our visit on the 28/12/2014. Great views of the bird tables at the Whitley hide, and good views of Water Rails and Marsh Tits on/under the feeders.

Mrs 'H' the Marsh Harrier will be back in March 2015 so you will see her - you will see great close ups of her in flight.

Look forward to reading your report, and seeing your photos of all of the places that you visit on your trip

Regards
Kathy
x

Any news of what's happening at Sculthorpe... I'm off down there at the end of the week.

Looks like winter has returned unfortunately.

Any news of what's happening at Sculthorpe... I'm off down there at the end of the week.

Looks like winter has returned unfortunately.

Whatever's there or not there Delia - it will be a delight. We love this reserve after being introduced to it three years ago. It's at the top of our list of 'Reserves to visit in Norfolk' now

Sandra

Hi Delia,

At Sculthorpe, you can expect to see approx. 50 species in half a day including marsh harriers (plus superb nest camera), warblers, nuthatch, marsh tit (plus chance of willow tit),

HTH

Gordon

As far as I was aware its been years since Willow Tit has been there

Thanks all... keep the reports coming in please. Much appreciated.

I love LRP's but have never manage a good picture of one, they've always been too distant for my small camera. And while I've seen and heard Thrush-Nightingale, I've never heard, let alone seen, a Common one!!

Two LRP's there today along with a Yellow Wag, both seen from the Whitley Hide on the new exposed mud area, which has opened up the possibilities for many new sp at this reserve i would have thought. We are going there tomorrow hopefully and have been visiting this great reserve for the past seven years or so now.

I had over 50 species in 3 hours when doing my volunteer wardening the other week. All the warblers except lesser whitethroat should be in by now. Keep your eyes on the skies - lot of good flyovers turn up.

You'll have a great time there

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back